55s to 33s

TLR_289

I have ran buggy all of my life and we have a 55 rule on the buggy around here, we recently got a flat kart and they have a 33 rule here. This past Saturday I was 3 tenths quicker than anybody else I'm the buggy, I was wiping the same prep on the 33s, same duro, same thickness. And I couldn't get out of my own way. Absolutely terrible. Anybody have any helpful tips for the 33s? Thanks

You were 3 tenths quicker on 33's than 55's but couldn't get out of your own way or make any speed? Maybe I'm not seeing what your asking here...what air pressure did you use with the 33's compared to the 55's?

No I was faster on the 55s. I went a 14.67 in champ on 55s, 3 tenths quicker than anybody else in buggy. I couldn't do anything with the 33s though. 6.5-5.5 air psi on 55s. 5.5-4.5 air psi on 33s

You definitely need more air in the 33's if you were to try running them on the champ kart in same conditions where you would use a 55. The fact that you used even less air in the 33's than you did with 55's is what stands out to me. I believe you would have done better on more air with the 33's, especially when your in a champ kart with more weight. I use more air in 33's just when switching from light to heavy classes, the higher air helps free up the chassis, you might also try more air split between left and right sides

No I was running the 33s on a flat kart, sorry for not making that clear. I'm confused on why they didn't work as well when everything was the same pretty much as my 55s. Do the 33s need less prep than a 55?

If your 55's were punching same as the 33's that means they are juiced up pretty good, if you were wiping same prep and lot's of it on the 33's, YES you were most likely using the WRONG prep and for sure to much prep for the 33's.

Pressures for the flat kart will be LESS than a buggy.

Just an fyi but typically (with our tires) the harder they get the more potential grip they have but the more load and/or heat it takes to get grip. In the past tires like the SS 11's, 22's and 33's were specifically dirt tires and the lower the number the less heat they needed to function. Also, track moisture didn't affect them as much as the 44 & 55 compounds. Along comes prep and throws a monkey wrench into the equation because it not only altered the "personality" of the tire it also made them much more unpredictable. Bottom line is it took a variable (tires) and made (prepped) tires a much bigger variable! Throw in durometer readings, which in my world have very little use other than in testing, and the issue becomes really clouded. This is going to become a rather lengthy discussion and of course "expert" opinions will all over the place but if people would back up and get back to work on the chassis and set up then the tire thing isn't as big a mystery (aka variable) as it is.

What do y'all at Burris think about tracks requiring 55's on champ karts.

Max,

The 55 tire rule on the Champs is one that is used in some places and not in others. It really comes down to the track or series determining which tire rule they believe to be the most beneficial to the class. We normally try not to involve ourselves in those decisions as the track or promoter should have a better feel for what will be the most broadly accepted direction.

I know it isn’t much of an answer but it explains the position we take on the subject.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt. That's a good answer. I understand not getting into other people's business. I think of 55's as asphalt tires. Would rather be able to run the tire I want to run on the corner I want to run it on. Any Burris tire would perfect for me. I not good at prepping tires and I don't want learn how to be good at it. Save the money and time for something else. The time more than the money. I don't run 55's on anything that I normally race. Tracks that have a 33 on flats and 55's on champs basically rule out of coming there. In retrospect I shouldn't have asked that question and put you on the spot like that.

i used to run a flat kart with a spec class tire b33a no prep with duro rule i worked on that kart for weeks but i got it fast while everyone else was prepping a running good i was getting chassis right then they pretty much dropped the prep rule and kept duro rule look out me and a friend wore them out the rest of the year ...think about that what burris racing is saying is 100% right on

Back