6.5 clone too rich??

wrndgls

I have some very basic upgrades on a blueplate 213cc clone, and cannot find the right jet to make power. I have a 3 stage header fromNR and their velocity stack. Also running a short manifold spacer to powr a fuel pump. Everything else is stock.
i figured more air flow, needs more fuel. Have been jetting up , to around .037 i think. Still runs but does not go, worse tham stock with power. I think the smallest i have is a .035, would that solve the problem? Plug looks fine butim guessing i am too rich.
Also the previous owner pulsed from the valve cover do i need to plug this hole?

Just because you have more air flow does not necessarily mean more fuel is needed.
You have a better fuel signal with the manifold to help bring in more fuel...then added the bigger pipe to help flow out also.
What is your idle jet at? Sometimes a simple main jet or idle jet change can help a lot.
Try a 18 idle, and a 36 main.

The idle jet is stock, and I have a 36 I think. (.036 in right?)
I will try this setup when I get done with class today and see if it helps. thanks yak.

Don't plug the hole in the cover unless your sure you have enough venting,but do something to keep dirt out out of the hole.

Are you aware that the difference between a .037” and .035” jet is 11.75% in area? That’s a big change in fuel flow. Of course that’s assuming that both jets are getting an accurate flow.
I’ve seen a difference in flow with jets manufactured to the highest tolerances. Drilled jets would not be even close to the tolerances I’m talking about.
My guess; if the plug looks good, (and that depends on what you think is good) you’re not rich.
“It runs but does not go.” Can you explain that?

Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

Haha It put puts yes but has less torque/power than the same motor when it was stock. I guess what im asking is, if i add a header an air filtet and a short intake, how does this affect fuel and air consumption? Is it enough for a jet change? its sounding like a size up in jets at most but i thi k i tried that. The stock is a .035 or something right?

Check the timing like clones said; and make sure your manifold and header are not blocking port area an often overlooked mistake,also check your intake gaskets,spray some carb clean around them w/eng.running- U may be surprised at what you find...............

So I opened up the valve cover and the lash was way off. Tried a .036 main jet, stock idle jet. started right up and accelerated strongly but got a good amount of backfire and couldn't get above a certain rpm. What does that mean? Bad timing? Or still too lean???

How do I check the timing without fancy tools? pull the flywheel and check the key out is what I have in mind...

So I opened up the valve cover and the lash was way off. Tried a .036 main jet, stock idle jet. started right up and accelerated strongly but got a good amount of backfire and couldn't get above a certain rpm. What does that mean? Bad timing? Or still too lean???

How do I check the timing without fancy tools? pull the flywheel and check the key out is what I have in mind...

Thats a good place to start, if its a stock un- cut key, you probably do need more timing.

How is timing stopping him from getting to a certain rpm?
A certain hp level yes,but rpm?
Valves floating? Popping would be from being a touch lean...
You can try each of the jets, try a .20-.24 idle and a main from .36-.39

Your description states a short carb spacer for pulse, Where is this placed and did you take into consideration the carburator atmospheric bowl vent?

Your description states a short carb spacer for pulse, Where is this placed and did you take into consideration the carburator atmospheric bowl vent?

It is behind the carburetor, about an inch wide, ground to fit the shape of the intake port. The black spacer is a bowl venting system right? If thats the question I am not running it just a gasket in between the back of the carb and the manifold. Do I need to run a spacer or is there another way to do this.
I haven't messed with stock carbs in so long. But I am going to try some smaller jets today.

Last night with a .036 it would
1) start on the first pull, almost jump to life
2) backfire on application of throttle
3) rev quickly to a certain rpm
4) backfire and return to low rpm
5) die unless I revved it again
6) plug was black and wet

This is screaming too rich to me. What do you guys think? I didn't check the timing really don't think this is an issue.

Today I will try bumping down to a .035 main jet, will report.
I have the stock jet and a stock gx160 jet but they are the only jets lower than .035.
I have drill bits above .036 but nothing really below so this should be interesting.

I'm also getting a new crank for my honda ruckus in the mail today. Cleaning the block this afternoon :cool: anything I should watch out for?

How do you expect this carb to vent I think you answered your own question justa thought?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

It may not solve all of your problems but, you do need the vent to be open. The fuel is pushed up the E tube because the vent applies atmospheric pressure to the surface of the fuel in the bowl forcing it toward the low pressure at the venturi. I can't explain why the engine acts as it is but you do not have a starting point if the bowl is not vented. You don't need that spacer pulse off the crankcase or valve cover.

Back