6" vrs. 5" wheels

benn

I understand where wheel size is optional, the 6" is preferred because of the stiffer side wall. Where wheel size is restricted to 5", what can be done to stiffen the side wall? Wider wheels and/or higher pressure? If wider wheels will help, what is a starting point for 7.10 rears and 4.50 fronts.

6" wide on the fronts may not work with tires that are already a little stiff. For instance, I found this really worked with the Dunlops but created a serious push with Bridgestones.

Well if it works on Gary's kart....

Seriously, I have tested it and found there is a line of diminishing returns and just flat out got slow. Different tracks, different karts, etc... results might vary. I thought I would share my experience. I didn't say they wouldn't work, just that there are things to watch out for.

Thank you for your suggestions. I needed a starting point and understand it is just that, a good place to start.

Nearly every kart at the gold cup had 6" front wheels last weekend. Some even had 6.5. And it is a spec bridgestone. I'm not here to argue but that's the truth.

6" or 6.5" on a 6" diameter wheel is different than 6" wide on a 5" diameter wheel.

In areas where we have to run a 5" diameter wheel, using a 6" wide often creates a handling issue, although it has been used effectively at times with certain tires and certain track conditions.

6" or 6.5" on a 6" diameter wheel is different than 6" wide on a 5" diameter wheel.

In areas where we have to run a 5" diameter wheel, using a 6" wide often creates a handling issue, although it has been used effectively at times with certain tires and certain track conditions.

He was still talking about 5" diameter. WKA Gold Cup runs 5" diameter.

I will tell my drivers to ignore the push and decreased lap times as it is not caused by running too wide of rim on the front because it always works.

You don't need to get an attitude. As I said it was a spec Bridgestone. Bridgestones are 5". Apparently it does work for everyone else but your drivers. You keep doing what you're doing and I will do the same. I'm going to recommend what I think is best and inform people as much as possible. You seem to get worked up when I said my kart was best with a 6" wheel with bridgestones. I'm not arguing I'm just telling you what I've tested more than once to work best with my kart. To each their own.

Back