.602 check in tech

DPR2

So going back and forth with someone on this tech item. This is first yr i have teched anything so learning as i go. When i checked this last wknd on the top3 in every class had no issues then when i get to last guy of the night the gage went in on air filter side of carb. Now they are saying i was doing it wrong then it can go as long as the slide can move? Anyone with info to pass along on this will be very welcomed thank u!!!!

You were doing it wrong. Read the rule again. It cannot go into the slide area. This is a common mistake tech men make nearly every weekend somewhere across the country unfortunately.
It’s obviously very confusing for tech men when using a no go that is actually allowed to “go” but just not go too far but it is the tech mans job to make sure they are doing the job correctly. Nothing worse than disqualifying someone that is legal.

So going back and forth with someone on this tech item. This is first yr i have teched anything so learning as i go. When i checked this last wknd on the top3 in every class had no issues then when i get to last guy of the night the gage went in on air filter side of carb. Now they are saying i was doing it wrong then it can go as long as the slide can move? Anyone with info to pass along on this will be very welcomed thank u!!!!
602 check <------click here

Another common error. Make sure that the slide is not hitting the head of the bolt that holds the "blade" on the no go gauge. That may need ground down or recessed. The bolt is NOT part of the tech!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I brought up the wording of this rule to Dave K. years ago...."pass into" What the heck does that mean?
Sure, most of us who have been around this program for a while know what it means and how to tech it, but for a new tech man or your average racer - you would think "pass through," or "enter into" -- not "pass into."
Steve's video is good clarification for sure...still would like to see the wording made clear(er.) :)

EX: "May not pass into the slide area as evidenced by the gauge touching the slide when carb is placed on a flat surface, intake side down."

^ Bit there's still that "pass into" part that just doesn't jive with the English language (or maybe it's just me.)
Must not "enter" the slide bore makes so much more sense for a "no go" gauge to me.

There is a u-tube video that is JUST the .602 check! I tried to make it as simple and to the point as possible. The wording in the Briggs book I don't have much say in.

^ Bit there's still that "pass into" part that just doesn't jive with the English language (or maybe it's just me.)
Must not "enter" the slide bore makes so much more sense for a "no go" gauge to me.
Hence I am defining what "may not pass into" constitutes. If it doesn't touch the slide, it has not passed into the slide area. This would also be consistent with Steve's video and the tech procedure being adopted by many 206 tech personnel.

Yea, I get it, but you don't "pass" "into" something. If you "pass" something, you go by it, as in passing, passed, past, proceed, etc. "Into" meaning enter, inside, etc. Kinda redundant, right?
A no go gauge is just that -- it must not go. It must not enter. It must not even start to enter. That is how a no-go gauge is used. But "pass into?" It must just be me. :)
Just a poor choice of wording is all I have a gripe with, not the actual tech procedure. I'm glad that Steve made the video. This is exactly the way I've been teaching this at our tech seminars.

I am sorry but the easyest way to solve this situation is to ban the over sized carbs & be done with it.
The problem is the Chinese aren't manufacturing race carbs they're manufacturing rototiller carbs designed to run at 3650 for 90 days. They don't care what the exact size is.

I’ve working on a lot of karting engines and Briggs consistency is as good as any at a fraction of the price. The only problem with this situation is tech men that lack reading comprehension skills. The carbs being a couple thousandths bigger doesn’t even matter. Let’s not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Back