62 4 Door Hardtop Impala

jaymancds

Whelp....

54 weeks ago I married the girl of my dreams. 10 weeks ago we welcomed our first little girl. My wife is awesome, and having a little girl is an absolutely amazing experience! I've also been working on my senior thesis and my Six Sigma green belt, and of course working all the time. The schedule is absolutely full for sure.

But.....

I was getting mechanically bored. I needed a hobby I could do at home so I wasn't an hour away fishing, or two hours away R/C racing, or spending 8 hours a week at a dirt track. So I got on the ol' Facebook marketplace and started looking. I knew I wanted either an old wagon or 4 door car from somewhere between 1958 and 1964. I've always liked the X-frame cars that GM built (1959-1964 Impala, Belair, Biscayne), so I was actually looking for either an Impala or Belair wagon when low and behold I stumbled across this hot rod an hour and 20 minutes from home. A few messages later and I had made the deal. A uhaul, having my dad tag along so we could use his truck, and $800 and I was set.

So the details, it's a 1962 4 door Hardtop Impala. Originally it was tuxedo black with a white top and red interior. It rolled off the floor with a straight 6 and a powerglide. As it sits it has a 283 and a glide. The floors are actually in pretty decent shape, but I'll have to replace the foot board of both front and rear seats on the drivers side, and had to patch the passenger side. The passenger side quarter panel is totally shot, and the drivers side needs a patch. The entire rockers both inside and outside on the passenger side are gone, the drivers side needs some help too. Otherwise it's in really good shape. A few patches here and there are needed, but that's on all old cars. The entire trunk floor is 100% solid.

I'll throw in a few progress pictures if yall promise not to judge my welding skills! I'm a grinder not a welder, but I can get the job done. This is probably going to be a project for the next 5-10 years and I'm good with it as it's obviously no where near the top of the priority list. The going plan is either and LS1 or LQ4 swap with a 4L80E all built to produce and handle about 450-500hp at the crank. Color wise, I love the white top, but I'll probably do it with a pearl white of some kind. The body will be Kindig's "blue suede blue" with a white headliner and matching blue interior otherwise. I'm planning to start lowering it with 2" spindles and 2" rear springs. I hope that's enough but I may go to coilovers on the front to get it just right. For wheels I'm thinking something similar to a Billet Specialties Malibu in chrome or polished aluminum.

Anways, here's the pictures of what I've been up to lately.

Attachments

• image000000(4).jpg
    image000000(4).jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230325_140709.jpg
    20230325_140709.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230401_100155.jpg
    20230401_100155.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
More pictures

Attachments

• 20230421_173354.jpg
    20230421_173354.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230429_165751.jpg
    20230429_165751.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230429_171900.jpg
    20230429_171900.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 29
Welders are the most vain people on earth.
Good thing your a Grinder .. :)
Congratulations , nice project .
If you keep it in running condition till the body works done . Moving it around is a lot easier .

You need to take the same pic with your wife, baby and car when you are finished with it. Good luck my friend. I restored a 64 Biscayne 2 door back in the day. Turquoise over turquoise, when out cruising you couldn't tell me I wasn't a badass......😁

Sounds like a cool project. A good friend restored a 1969 Roadrunner. When he bought it there was no glass in it and you could see the ground through the back window.

I’ve done Six Sigma green belt also. Are you familiar with Minitab?

Sounds like a cool project. A good friend restored a 1969 Roadrunner. When he bought it there was no glass in it and you could see the ground through the back window.

I’ve done Six Sigma green belt also. Are you familiar with Minitab?
I spend 30-50 hours a week in Minitab. I work as a Process Engineer and I'm finishing up my
Industrial Engineering degree in December, so Minitab is my life right now!

You need to take the same pic with your wife, baby and car when you are finished with it. Good luck my friend. I restored a 64 Biscayne 2 door back in the day. Turquoise over turquoise, when out cruising you couldn't tell me I wasn't a badass......😁
The plan is to take the family picture at least once a year if not a little more often. Right now it's a driveway project so the pictures are easy to get. We'll have to get another house before we have another baby and the plan is to get one with an existing shop, or build a shop for my projects and hobbies.

I spend 30-50 hours a week in Minitab. I work as a Process Engineer and I'm finishing up my
Industrial Engineering degree in December, so Minitab is my life right now!

The plan is to take the family picture at least once a year if not a little more often. Right now it's a driveway project so the pictures are easy to get. We'll have to get another house before we have another baby and the plan is to get one with an existing shop, or build a shop for my projects and hobbies.
Good idea on your future shop. Just a quick thought on that, if you think it's big enough, it isn't!✌️

So it's been a while since we built my 64 c 10. Make sure you have old butter tubs or Tupperware for all bolts removed and mark them. Also make a list of needs and wants for the car. Make sure you go to swap meets and check out your local salvage yard as there might be some hidden gems there. You will get it looking good before you know it.

I just thought about this and something that you may want to know. Most if not all replacement floor pans, rockers, and anything else remanufactured will need rebent for fitment

I just thought about this and something that you may want to know. Most if not all replacement floor pans, rockers, and anything else remanufactured will need rebent for fitment
Yeah this one isn't my first rodeo when it comes to making use of the BFH to make those "exact replication" panels fit. I'm just going to "fab" my own rockers since it's all basically flat metal, and then order the pans. I'm a firm believer in leaving as much if the original metal there as possible, so I'll be cutting the pans up to leave as much of the good part of the factory floor in place.

Thanks for the update on your family, what you've been up to, and congrats on the project car!
I bought a similar condition whale tail 4 door '60 Impala maybe 10 years ago now. Still haven't had time to touch it. I keep thinking it'll be a retirement project but at the current rate, I'll never be able to retire. Time goes by quickly. LOL

All the best!
The Carlsons

I've been really busy the last few weeks with getting my senior thesis work done, and we've had several family events going on. I was able to get a few hours in the shop this morning. I decided to take a manageable bite off of this elephant with fabricating a new lower fender mount.

Attachments

• 20230520_111952.jpg
    20230520_111952.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230520_111957.jpg
    20230520_111957.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230520_112004.jpg
    20230520_112004.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 13
I formed it out of two pieces and welded them together since I don't have a brake. Managed to get the angle to be just about perfect. Ice got work to do behind it before I weld it on, so I hit it with some quick paint to keep the rist away. I also ground down the inside welds too, just didn't get a picture of it.

Just a bite out if this big ol project.

Attachments

• 20230520_112009.jpg
    20230520_112009.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230520_112044.jpg
    20230520_112044.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230520_112216.jpg
    20230520_112216.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 17
Inner sheild wire or gas cover .?
welds much improved .
It's inner shield wire. Welding fresh metal helped a ton, and I did this welding in the vise. I only have a cheap harbor freight welder, but I was able to slow the feed down and let it get some heat in it with this better metal. I was proud of myself.

On the car I really struggle with getting good enough penetration without it blowing through the older/thinner metal.

Got to remember it is thin metal 50% penitration is strong enough for non structural stuff .
A gap half the thickness of the metal will help . With full penitration. If there's a tight spot weld away from it. If a wide spot weld toward it .

Back