68730 Engine with RTC-8 head... Flames from the straight pipe at idle????

So i picked upa Predator 212cc for 99$ the other day for my drift trike. I was hoping for a Hemi but all they had were non hemi engines. So i ended uo with a 69730 engine. Upon inspection I found it had a RTC-8 head. I looked up info and found that it seems to be a predecessor to the RTC-6. I have never had a clone engine or Honda GX either but I do have a 5hp Briggs and i will say this Predator looks WAY better made. My ports are smooth as glass with NO mold flashing in them anywhere. There are no burrs or sharp edges. Unlike my crappy flashing filled Briggs.
So I tore it down to paint it with some DEi Silicone Spray to keep it super clean. I noticed that the carb to spacer and spacer to head ports didnt match well. The carb was slightly larger then the spacer bore and the head is D shaped unlike the small round spacer. I decided to port match the spacer to the carb. Then i paint markered the hell out of the intake port and put the spacer against the wet painted port. This transferred the port shape to the spacer. I smoothly beveled the spacer to go from round to D shaped. I also trimmed back the spacer gasket and the exhaust gasket so they didnt block the port edges anymore. I also sprayed a little silicone paint in the ports but not so far that it hit the valve stem. This stuff stays slick and can take 1,500* of heat. I figured it would help the exhaust gas slip right out.... Worst case it just burns up and comes out the pipe.
So after all this i out her back together. My buddy gave me his straight pipe to try.
This thing sounds way nastier. It snaps up throttle faster then it did before BUT it burbbles flames out the exhaust after starting it. When revving it it spews an orange flame like an afterburner. When revved high it doesn't cackle and pop on engine decel like my buddies Predator. I think she is running rich. I will upload a video to youtube asap so you can see. I have one up already on the "Predator 212 Engine Owners Group" group on Facebook. Maybe someone could put in their 2 cents.

Back