8hp briggs

Marko B.

Hi, im new in small engines briggs, im a mehanic but i work on japan motorcycles, and i am in europe… i have a 8hp and i want to put a 3 hp aluminium flyweel on it, i can do it no problem, but reading the forums you got me wondering is that safe? I got a iron flywheal on the 8hp and i was thinking that wood be sweat trotle responce… btw ewerything is polished up ported , the head is lovered, the gowernator is outh…every trick i know. its going on a offroad go kart.
Thanks for the answers in advance.

Ditch the 8hp for a 5hp and mod that..best decision you'll make with a flatty, unless we're talking twin cylinders.

You would have to rebore the taper to get a 3hp flywheel to fit, the use a bracket to lower the coil. Then the question would be, what’s going to let go first, the flywheel or the rod. I’ve built a few 8hp engines but never turned them over 6000 rpm. They all ended up throwing a rod before it was all said and done. This was before billet rods were available. Now, if you use and ARC billet 3hp flywheel and rebore it, and use an ARC billet rod, you’ll have something to play with. The week link will then be the piston, then the crank. I’d highly recommend taking Flatfives advice and building a 5hp.

Thanks for the input, then im gona stick with the stock flyweal and limit the throtle, its a project im not wiling to put money in…just labour…
Sory for the spelling…

The racing mower guys build these and have parts... I was going to but sold off before I did. There's probably a post on here somewhere.

Back