8hp ohv briggs suggestions for mild mod build

conehead

I have a 2003/2004 briggs ohv that I want to do a mild mod build , kinda best bang for the buck motor. I need the help of all you experts, fyi I do have full machine shop access just low on bucks lol. I will be racing this engine on clay ovals. would really like to run on gas but will use methanol if I have to. thanks for any help , jack l

The 8hp is usally a 305cc engine, with cool bore.
You need to fully identify the engine before any one can give help certain. .....Paul Doss

I know Jack, and it is a 8hp Ohv.

how long do you want it to last?
I would put a steel sleeve in it, deck the block so the oiston is even with the top of the block, take .1000 off the head.
You need a good rod and arc has them, port the head, good valve springs, and a mikuni 23mm carb. I like to run gas......cam is optional, I presonally would run around a 325-350 life. if you run the 350 cam be sure to check valve to head clearence. I use .040 as a standard. Last but not least good rockers.....hope this helps.

ok here is the info I found on the valve cover...........so help me out experts is it woth doin anything to or not? thanx

briggs 8.0 hp Intek I/C

model- 202412
type- 0145E1
code- 050816YE

ok here is the info I found on the valve cover...........so help me out experts is it woth doin anything to or not? thanx

briggs 8.0 hp Intek I/C

model- 202412
type- 0145E1
code- 050816YE

I believe what you have here is Briggs model 20, 305cc engine. Can it be modified up? Sure. Parts are available to do so. If you are going to run against true "opens" it will take a lot of mods and will probably be found lacking. Not a bad engine however. Possibly get hold of member "Jimbo". I think he is one of the resident Briggs experts on here. Get his number, give him a call and let him know what your "intent" is with this engine. He could then let you know if its "worth" it or not. Good luck.

Back