9 shoe, black spring Max Torque SS clutch

I saw this video on YouTube by Redbeards Garage and Max Torque about how you can mod your Max Torque SS clutch by cutting 3 of the 6 shoes in halfs to make 9 total shoes to have 9 areas of contact instead of 6 which they say is better, and a black spring to stall the engagement to 3200 RPM. The question I have here is that can this be used for stage 2 or 3 196cc - 301cc clone/honda motors or even full blown motors like stage 4 or super built. I'm not sure if the ss clutch can handle more than 6,600 RPM which I read somewhere but i forgot who said but i was wondering also could these mods make it hold up even more.

A few things stand out to me.

First, smaller shoes means less contact area total. The circumference stays the same. More shoes means they have to be smaller. So the contact area is less. But, puts more pressure on each shoe because the area is smaller. Potentially increasing wear on components.

Second, smaller shoes means less weight so the smaller shoes will have to guess at best at the engagement because there is no guidelines anymore as they are lighter. So the lighter shoes with the same springs will raise the engagement. I know the spring setup is different but cutting removes material so you automatically lose weight.

Sounds to me like you're shooting in the dark and taking a lot of risk with something that isn't going to help the problems you've had with clutches. I wouldn't bother and stick with a good clutches setup for what you need. Most of that stuff on YouTube is back yard guys or mini bikes.

First, smaller shoes means less contact area total. The circumference stays the same. More shoes means they have to be smaller. So the contact area is less. But, puts more pressure on each shoe because the area is smaller. Potentially increasing wear on components.

Second, smaller shoes means less weight so the smaller shoes will have to guess at best at the engagement because there is no guidelines anymore as they are lighter. So the lighter shoes with the same springs will raise the engagement. I know the spring setup is different but cutting removes material so you automatically lose weight.

Sounds to me like you're shooting in the dark and taking a lot of risk with something that isn't going to help the problems you've had with clutches. I wouldn't bother and stick with a good clutches setup for what you need. Most of that stuff on YouTube is back yard guys or mini bikes.
Could i just put a black spring on it and not cut the shoes

I'm not familiar with their springs and engagements. I'm sure there is a guide, I'd follow the guides.

Ran one on an wka unrestricted animal. But ours was a 12 shoe modified to a 9 because it had problems chucking shoes. Decent clutch but more maintenance than a bully just to keep it engaging the best it could. It would have to come apart and get all shoes ground on just to take glaze off. Kinda a pain but it was comparable to a disk clutch on lockup

The video he seen was from the owner designer of the max torque clutch, so it’s not a shot in the dark. He also shows how to cut the spring to get higher engagement.

Yes, Brendan, even the owners get to fool around with their own product to get more from it. We use to have a clutch called the "Tracked Tuned" TT for short and it didn't work correctly for the simple reason the spring went to the path of least resistance. The clutch could run 6 shoes, 4 shoes, three shoes or two shoes and yes the engagement changed but it ran extremely hot with any combination except the six shoes. So I retired that clutch and fooled around with "SS" clutch which is the most copied clutch out there by one of my competitors and by all the china boys.
By cutting the shoes I have more pressure points to the drum. The reason I stop at only cutting three shoes is when you cut all six then it takes two people to get it together and that isn't efficient for me or my employees. I do it for certain people but I don't like to it for the reason I just gave. Cutting three shoes increased the pressure point to the drum by 50% and made for a much more consistent engagement and gave a driver a slight edge which is what everyone looks for when racing. The good news is you can cut a NEW "SS" shoe with a band saw, Sawzall, or a hacksaw but you cannot cut the china shoes because they like to heat treat them and you can only cut theirs with a cut-off disk.

How did it workout for you. I have spoken to Mr Donovan heck of a nice guy, he has a great product. I’ve tried cutting the shoes and it works well, however I tried it late in our season and I’m gearing up for a new season and I’m curious how it works for you. I’m willing to experiment with this clutch over some of the others just for the main fact of these shoes go all the way around the drum making contact opposed to some of the others that have gaps.

Could i just put a black spring on it and not cut the shoes
This is what I have done with several clutches. Works well. I have always want to try cutting the shoes like in the video, just never had time. I think you have to cut the shoes when they are new. Thanks to Jim for a good product too.

Back