A few clutch questions ( bully 2 disk, 6 spring)

My clutch is a few years old, I've changed friction discs prior to this year, and adjusted my springs, which got me back to around 4000 rpm engagement. Which I think for my 420lbs total weight, is where it should be.
My questions are: should I refrain from using any kind of chain lube, at the track. I'm worried about contamination getting on my friction discs.
And my clutch basket has some play, where the driver gear is seated. About an 1/8" play.
Last week my retaining screw failed, which made my retaining ring come right off, and I think that's why I have the little bit of play now. I still finished my feature. I have since replaced my retaining screw, but should I go ahead and order a new clutch basket?

^ Agreed.
1/8" is still usable, but it won't get any better with use. You'd do better with a new basket.

We soak our chains in a crock pot at home.
At the track we still use a very light coat of penetrating chain lube (at least before the features.)
You definitely need to be careful not to use an excessive amount as it will find it's way into your clutch linings (same with clutch bearing grease.)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

My clutch is a few years old, I've changed friction discs prior to this year, and adjusted my springs, which got me back to around 4000 rpm engagement. Which I think for my 420lbs total weight, is where it should be.
"Where it should be"? What do you base this on? Does your engine reach peak torque at 4000 RPM? Peak torque is where the clutch should be set. Let me explain, to calculate horsepower you use this formula RPM X torque / 5252.1 = HP. What ever your engine torque reading is at 4000 RPM, that torque is transferred to the axle through the chain, with maximum torque at the axle, you have maximum HP at the axle, they will be different from the engine to the axle until the clutch locks up. So, if you want maximum HP at the axle, set the clutch at the RPM where the engine reaches peak torque.

^ Agreed.
1/8" is still usable, but it won't get any better with use. You'd do better with a new basket.

We soak our chains in a crock pot at home.
At the track we still use a very light coat of penetrating chain lube (at least before the features.)
You definitely need to be careful not to use an excessive amount as it will find it's way into your clutch linings (same with clutch bearing grease.)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
So after my night of racing, I spray my chain with brake clean, remove it from kart, and let it soak in a bucket of used oil I have. Prior to my next race, I soak up excessive oil on chain with a cloth, and let it sit for a day before I mount back on kart.
As for clutch bearing grease, I use a very small amount of Vaseline on the inner bearing, (where it slides onto the crankshaft). I used to apply a small amount to the thrust bearing, but now I run that one completely dry.

"Where it should be"? What do you base this on? Does your engine reach peak torque at 4000 RPM? Peak torque is where the clutch should be set. Let me explain, to calculate horsepower you use this formula RPM X torque / 5252.1 = HP. What ever your engine torque reading is at 4000 RPM, that torque is transferred to the axle through the chain, with maximum torque at the axle, you have maximum HP at the axle, they will be different from the engine to the axle until the clutch locks up. So, if you want maximum HP at the axle, set the clutch at the RPM where the engine reaches peak torque.
So I'm just basing that on the bully website, where it states the stock heavy guys should be using red springs, and an approximate engagement of 4000 rpm.
Thanks for the detailed post, I love the formula that you explained! I guess I need to dyno my motor to get a reading of my peak torque, and adjust my clutch accordingly, and hence, more accurately.

Back