A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Remember Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet .
Accuracy without clarity is a waste of time .
One can learn a lot by just paying close attention to certain things, above and beyond more than just the obvious normal things going on around you at any given time, and at all different times during that event. More Normal things would be going to the grid wet , cooler than normal temps , dew building up on the body of your kart, only the middle of the rear tires are touching the grid surface more ballooned look, indicating high air, just the opposite all tires are squatted indicating low air, Are hot boxes being used.

Above and beyond things, like getting to know your competition most all tracks top 5 are pretty predictable correct , and out of those 5 all will be best under certain track condition and what's required during that time , Some being best when you must prep Aggressively and a torch is involved , some get best results when little or No prep is needed , Some only get good results now and then when it falls in there lap and the track condition ends up abnormal , Bottom line learn as much as possible about your competition and a few common denominators will surface if your in tune , So when you find yourself scratching your head about changes if any are going on to the racing surface, you can then think it all through and usually be more confident with what you decide to do.

Does this sound familiar track roll in is complete practice has started and your say 1/3 rd through practice and main groove starts peeling grit off which ends up outside of main groove, and a cushion starts developing which i know everyone reading that races has seen, now the difference very few pick up on and understands why that is, when that happens if say 10 guys are standing in a group and all comment on it at least 8 will say track is drying out already , including most track promoters and or track workers to the point of starting up the blower to blow it off, RIGHT
when that's not the case the blower won't even move it WHY because it has plenty of moisture yet in it and it is to heavy for the blower to move, instead of wasting time trying to blow it off move karts up or use something with rubber tires to run it in while it still has moisture as it will turn into GRIP and a wider racing groove, the fact that it even starts peeling grit tells you the track if making enough GRIP getting better at least when those tires make enough grip to pass by a certain amount it will peel, So lets say your playing the 33s only game what does that tell you , it tells me going forward little to NO prep , if that happens like 3 times where it can still be ran in that tells me not only No Prep, also a more cured tire even before comparing lap times of previous races , Now let's say you NEVER see the track groove peel any grit off at all, BUT also NEVER goes dry dirty always has some shine and appears to still have moisture, even If bone hard what does that tell you, think about it that tells me the track sealed over and you'll be wiping some type prep all day, ( and you can take that to the bank ) now walk out feel how slick and compare lap times, and that will confirm which type prep, the more slick the more Aggressive prep required. Its that simple.

Your at a big money race day race where most always track gets pretty good and holds, never going dry dusty, pay attention to the Humidity where it was when race started and what it's projected to do remainder of the day, and what it actually does WHY because lets say race starts practice at 10 am suns out Humidity is 85 % predicted to stay close same till dark say with in 5 %, when that happens track is more predictable it will max out around noon or so and hold for quite a while until near dark will it change, with the change being Humidity went up 7 % what happens moisture sets in on surface which then 2 things can happen, lap times can Increase because the added moisture actually turn, into more grip, OR it's little to much moisture and lap times slow because less grip , especially with out some prep in tires. Now lets say same race and times but at 1 pm Unpredicted the Humidity plummets to 45 % you can bet the farm that the track surface will dry out enough that if your paying real close attention the surface color will change lightening up some , and lap times will fall off . and will require a different tire.

Point being you can learn more than you think by always paying attention !!

Your at a big money race day race where most always track gets pretty good and holds, never going dry dusty, pay attention to the Humidity where it was when race started and what it's projected to do remainder of the day, and what it actually does WHY because lets say race starts practice at 10 am suns out Humidity is 85 % predicted to stay close same till dark say with in 5 %, when that happens track is more predictable it will max out around noon or so and hold for quite a while until near dark will it change, with the change being Humidity went up 7 % what happens moisture sets in on surface which then 2 things can happen, lap times can Increase because the added moisture actually turn, into more grip, OR it's little to much moisture and lap times slow because less grip , especially with out some prep in tires. Now lets say same race and times but at 1 pm Unpredicted the Humidity plummets to 45 % you can bet the farm that the track surface will dry out enough that if your paying real close attention the surface color will change lightening up some , and lap times will fall off . and will require a different tire.
Everything else you wrote I'd probably agree with, Ken, but my experience has been just the opposite with humidity. When you have very humid air, the tracks tend to slick over and dry out (warm air is pulling the moisture from the track.) I think a bigger determining factor is how the track was prepped (how much water, how long before race time, how was it rolled in, calcium used, the dirt they've got to work with, etc.) I don't think this is exclusive to karts either as some big name crew chiefs I've talked with over the years have commented on the track drying out quicker on humid days. Remember, that humidity doesn't all come from the sky, it comes from the ground and is absorbed up into the air, especially warm air. Cool damp air and dew now is a different story. ;)
Bottom line, keep notes on everything and consider similarities correlating to resulting track surfaces.
Everything else you wrote I'd probably agree with, Ken, but my experience has been just the opposite with humidity. When you have very humid air, the tracks tend to slick over and dry out (warm air is pulling the moisture from the track.) I think a bigger determining factor is how the track was prepped (how much water, how long before race time, how was it rolled in, calcium used, the dirt they've got to work with, etc.) I don't think this is exclusive to karts either as some big name crew chiefs I've talked with over the years have commented on the track drying out quicker on humid days. Remember, that humidity doesn't all come from the sky, it comes from the ground and is absorbed up into the air, especially warm air. Cool damp air and dew now is a different story. ;)
Bottom line, keep notes on everything and consider similarities correlating to resulting track surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then that's simple your experiences with that happening is because the tracks you were at when it happened weren't properly prepared in the first place, not just the fact the Humidity was higher those days than normal and dried the track out , because any real good experienced guy that preps any track takes that into account up front while preparing and adds xtra moisture up front , then more importantly also adds xtra amount of calcium to compensate for it as well. where you state you THINK the bigger determining factors are, you don't have to THINK those are the reasoning factors , What I mention IF the humidity does ever plummet drastically sudden 30 to 40 % exactly what i point out will happen , but that doesn't automatically turn into drying out that much Dust and dirt rolling across groove, track racing dirty starts chunking out coming apart, but yes even a properly prepared track surface will change enough to the trained eye it will change color tone , and lap times slow 1 to 3 th that you can take to the bank, So after now knowing the difference if you still disagree that's simple as well, your wrong lol

I would say that MOST of the tracks I have visited are not properly prepared - but we raced on them anyway.
Take what is given and adjust to accommodate for the track conditions that you're presented with.

Moisture is pulled from the ground (track) on hot humid days. Doesn't matter how the track was prepared. How much they dry out or slick off though is more determined by how that track was prepared. I'll stand by my statement, and with respect, we'll just need to agree to disagree on this one, Ken. :)

I can't agree to that just yet , because I'm not sure we're disagreeing just yet , I agree with everything you've posted , only thing I'm not sure on yet is , the fact that I'm saying if the Humidity has a sudden drop drastic change early afternoon and there is a race going on at any one track or 20 different tracks for that matter , regardless how it's been prepared or where track conditions was at the time of that sudden drop , within 30 minutes of that sudden drastic drop of Humidity it will have a drying effect ( above and beyond the normal transition) " ALWAYS to every track racing on that given day when the Humidity dropped.
Now If your still disagreeing, then we can respectfully Agree to Disagree .
But Respectfully your still wrong lol

Bought a complete sell out, tires have not been ran in a while "mostly pink and blue". All tires duro pretty close to same low 60's. How do you know when they need to be grinded?

Bought a complete sell out, tires have not been ran in a while "mostly pink and blue". All tires duro pretty close to same low 60's. How do you know when they need to be grinded?
When then feel really tough , when there glazed over looking with a bluish tint sheen look , when you know they've not been ran for awhile, I cringe when I hear anyone refer to it as GRINDING I vision a high speed grinder course floppy disc and sparks flying, lol
REFINISHING paints a much better picture , if you need more info on that process, just ask , there not only going to need Refinshed they'll need re rolled internal.

When then feel really tough , when there glazed over looking with a bluish tint sheen look , when you know they've not been ran for awhile, I cringe when I hear anyone refer to it as GRINDING I vision a high speed grinder course floppy disc and sparks flying, lol
REFINISHING paints a much better picture , if you need more info on that process, just ask , there not only going to need Refinshed they'll need re rolled internal.
Thanks for reply, yes I have done alot of reading about "refinishing" and what I have found was needed is a low speed angle grinder "still need to buy", would 3000rpm grinder be slow enough? Fine grit flapper disk "have 220 grit"? Spray bottle to keep tire cool.

The tires definitely need refinished.

I have a larry jones hotbox and hotlap internal prep, starting out what would be a good temp and for how long to hot box them? Rekon question is how do I know all the prep I put inside the tires have completely absorbed into the tire?

Thanks for reply, yes I have done alot of reading about "refinishing" and what I have found was needed is a low speed angle grinder "still need to buy", would 3000rpm grinder be slow enough? Fine grit flapper disk "have 220 grit"? Spray bottle to keep tire cool.

The tires definitely need refinished.

I have a larry jones hotbox and hotlap internal prep, starting out what would be a good temp and for how long to hot box them? Rekon question is how do I know all the prep I put inside the tires have completely absorbed into the tire?
You let roll 24 hrs to be safe , where will you be racing at ? And describe track conditions with as much detail as you can .

You let roll 24 hrs to be safe , where will you be racing at ? And describe track conditions with as much detail as you can .
At what temp?

I have only had karts for a couple weeks only had chance to race once at high rev in Nashville ga, it got rained out after heat race didn't have any practice, was 4 wheel sliding cause didn't do anything to tires other than a couple pre race whips with black sand....track was super wet....wife went out for practice in predator and was covered in mud after 2 laps.

Hopefully mainly Swainboro Ga, Cochran GA "it's a new track, have only been there for open practice, as they haven't opened completely yet" at this time didn't have karts but track is clay and looked dusty/dry...but sure it will change. Will do a couple races down south Ga and north Florida.....

As stared above just getting into karting so will try to stay local as much as possible just to get some seat time before adventuring out to bigger events where entry fees are higher, travel expenses are higher just to get seat time.

At what temp?

I have only had karts for a couple weeks only had chance to race once at high rev in Nashville ga, it got rained out after heat race didn't have any practice, was 4 wheel sliding cause didn't do anything to tires other than a couple pre race whips with black sand....track was super wet....wife went out for practice in predator and was covered in mud after 2 laps.

Hopefully mainly Swainboro Ga, Cochran GA "it's a new track, have only been there for open practice, as they haven't opened completely yet" at this time didn't have karts but track is clay and looked dusty/dry...but sure it will change. Will do a couple races down south Ga and north Florida.....

As stared above just getting into karting so will try to stay local as much as possible just to get some seat time before adventuring out to bigger events where entry fees are higher, travel expenses are higher just to get seat time.
Room temp would be fine even , but up to 90 * wouldn't hurt , next will be the amount let us read through the track description or see if anyone knows those tracks then we'll figure out amount which i'd say will be at least 100 cc up to 140 cc.

Could you please send me more info on preparing tires.

Back