A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

If you kart is real good It's mostly all tires, or move 5lb of weight left to right or vise versa, however in general If it's off going in look to the front to change, If it's off on exit look to the rear to change, If it's off in center is the only time I'll look to wheel spacing's and there MINOR pretty much set them and leave them alone, Remember MOST exit issues are entry related, Also remember cross is a more fine tune adjustment.

Thanks so much for the advice. What wheel spacing is considered optimal?

Thanks so much for the advice. What wheel spacing is considered optimal?
Optimal would be whatever ends up providing best rotation speed thru the middle while providing best drive off, however that's not as simple as set it at a certain position and it just works out, Keep in mind it has to work in harmony with the rest of the set-up, Good base line spacing's would be front in as close to the spindle as you can, RR from inside edge of wheel to the frame 1/8 " to 1/4 ", LR from inside edge of wheel to frame 5/8" to 7/8 ".
Some older chassis would vary.

Last edited:
Optimal would be whatever ends up providing best rotation speed thru the middle while providing best drive off, however that's not as simple as set it at a certain position and it just works out, Keep in mind it has to work in harmony with the rest of the set-up, Good base line spacing's would be front in as close to the spindle as you can, RR from inside edge of wheel to the frame 1/8 " to 1/4 ", LR from inside edge of wheel to frame 5/8" to 7/8 ".
Some older chassis would vary.

Spot on... Other than I'd allow more variance with the left rear. I start my rear tracking so that the left rear tire is in line with the left side of the body/nerf bar (assuming 42"-ish body.)
Move the left rear in or out to change the corner exit characteristics and how long the weight sits on the left rear before transferring.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Want to start pointing out with some examples of why you see myself and some others point out there are very few in generals that always apply.

1 example, comparing switching to run Burris 33s when you've only been running maxxis, the info you receive is run more air with no internal prep, understand first that's provided same race track under same conditions, and your spot on with your maxxis, then that info holds pretty true, however pointing out let's say your NOT spot on with your maxxis and not knowing your issue why, is your not using enough internal in your maxxis plus your running 1 lb to much air in your maxxis, then it could very well end up the 33s would not need higher air plus may need 30 cc to 45 cc internal.
Bottom line very few things end up in general ALWAYS like you need 4 tires with air in to race !!

I think a list of definitions on terms would be super helpful for beginners and even those who might've never known what a certain term means.
Examples, cutting, grooving, siping, cross, push, loose/tight on entry/exit, RR,RF,LR,LF, stagger, cross, nose, toe, caster, camber, scrubbing speed, motor bogging, lifting/burping the motor, tire sizing and what the numbers mean and so on. It's terminology a lot know that have been around but can confuse and de-rail those that don't understand the lingo.

I think a list of definitions on terms would be super helpful for beginners and even those who might've never known what a certain term means.
Examples, cutting, grooving, siping, cross, push, loose/tight on entry/exit, RR,RF,LR,LF, stagger, cross, nose, toe, caster, camber, scrubbing speed, motor bogging, lifting/burping the motor, tire sizing and what the numbers mean and so on. It's terminology a lot know that have been around but can confuse and de-rail those that don't understand the lingo.
Feel free to choose one at a time or a few that have a relative connection and give your definition, and if anyone else feels additional details need pointed out they can chime in.
I'll start with the easiest RR means Right Rear, RF means Right Front, LR means Left Rear, LF means Left Front, and are referenced as setting in the kart.
RTW means rear track width, VCG means vertical center of gravity.

Last edited:
Kart "bound up" -- LR isn't getting enough lift, so the rear axle is fighting the front axle input, and that bind is bogging down the motor and creating heat without speed. This is when the track has enough grip to allow you to turn in, and feel like it's tracking properly, but there's not enough roll speed (compared to what's theoretically available.) Can be fixed by weight transfer or grip reduction... At least, that's my understanding of it.

Kart "bound up" -- LR isn't getting enough lift, so the rear axle is fighting the front axle input, and that bind is bogging down the motor and creating heat without speed. This is when the track has enough grip to allow you to turn in, and feel like it's tracking properly, but there's not enough roll speed (compared to what's theoretically available.) Can be fixed by weight transfer or grip reduction... At least, that's my understanding of it.
What your favorite go to when this is happening? To me this also may show up as tight(pushing) from center off, No?

Bound Up, Something binding the chassis hindering proper flex resisting weight transfer, Could be seat to tight, nurf bars to tight, front or rear bumper to tight could be added to Ted above post.
Don't mix up with TIGHT as some of same symptoms apply.

Last edited:
What your favorite go to when this is happening? To me this also may show up as tight(pushing) from center off, No?
I would state tight and push have there own definitions and are different, First things I would look at if I felt kart was bound up would be seat mounting, Nurf bars, bumpers something jammed tight or bent, are tires WAY OFF.

Last edited:
Tight, kart just has NO speed looks to constant, NO sporty look, motor could bog might not.
Push, wheel input is applied and kart wont turn.

First thing I would look at with ANY issue is TIRES as lot's of times with newer guy's especially, as that's 80% of the problem.

Last edited:
Burping motor same as Burping throttle and means simply leave off throttle a split second and right back on, might be done only once in turn, might be done multiple times in turn.

Is there a certain one or a few that you find confusing that you need more details on ?

Are there different preps that work better in different parts of the country
I live in Louisiana myself. Seems like Vega tires are popular. Four tracks you can run. All of them probably have different dirt. There is one being built right here at my house. No sure if it will be some type of clay or what. I am just starting back in karting. Been out for about 5 years. Starting over. I am going to start with Vega. If I can find out what will be on the track I would like some suggestions as to what to try and how to prep them. I still haven't bought another kart yet so I may be a little premature. Like this thread. Thanks Racepromoter.

Are there different preps that work better in different parts of the country
I live in Louisiana myself. Seems like Vega tires are popular. Four tracks you can run. All of them probably have different dirt. There is one being built right here at my house. No sure if it will be some type of clay or what. I am just starting back in karting. Been out for about 5 years. Starting over. I am going to start with Vega. If I can find out what will be on the track I would like some suggestions as to what to try and how to prep them. I still haven't bought another kart yet so I may be a little premature. Like this thread. Thanks Racepromoter.
All tracks are different because as you mentioned different dirt so which tire and prep is best will vary, in fact that can vary just based on who prepares the track, visit each track and make some friends.

Back