A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

2019 Ultramax Rival. I'm not having any handling issues per say. Generally I'm able to keep up with the leaders. Even won a few features. I race good but struggle in qualifying. I haven't quite figured out the prep game for a few laps. I asked about camber more out of curiosity. Like Flattop1 said, always looking for another tenth or 2. Thank you for taking the time to reply

kartracer_3

LF Camber description from the smart guy's, Going more positive on LF camber will turn the kart in quicker and loosen the chassis when exiting the corner middle out, and will also magnify the effects of LF caster. Going more negative on the LF camber reduces the pull to the left, and will tighten the chassis when exiting the corner middle out, and reduces the effects of LF caster.
Excessive LF camber is indicated when the kart becomes to loose exiting the corner sever laps into the run, Insufficient LF camber is indicated when the kart is tight from the middle out of corners. The kart will simply be slow off the corners.

RF camber going more negative on the RF will magnify the effects of RF caster, making the kart turn in quicker and loosen the chassis throughout the corner. Negative RF camber keeps the RF sidewall from rolling under when weight is transferred to it durning cornering, and frees the kart up throughout the corner. Excessive negative RF camber can result in a push late in the run due to overheating on the inside of the RF causing the tire to give up. Tires do have designed operating temp ranges, which once exceeded will cause the chassis to become extremely loose.
Going more positive RF camber reduces the effects of RF caster, will slow the kart turn in and tighten the chassis.
Thank you very much.

Most everything I read has front stagger set at 1.5”. I understand that chassis are designed around 34” right side tires and the 1.5” stagger is for rake (ideally washers are evenly spaced?) What if you’re maxed out on washers (1 on bottom left and 2 on top right spindle) to achieve desired cross? Would you want to increase front stagger to adjust for rake?

flattop1

Dawg 89
No , you would be raising the chassis .
You still have 3 washers too go .
Is front stagger used for rake ?
In my way of thinking excessive front stagger will hinder weight transfer .

Most everything I read has front stagger set at 1.5”. I understand that chassis are designed around 34” right side tires and the 1.5” stagger is for rake (ideally washers are evenly spaced?) What if you’re maxed out on washers (1 on bottom left and 2 on top right spindle) to achieve desired cross? Would you want to increase front stagger to adjust for rake?
Confirmation on your washers what your saying, on your RF you only have 1 washer left on the bottom and only 2 left on the top ? OR when you refer left you mean left side of the kart ?

Confirmation on your washers what your saying, on your RF you only have 1 washer left on the bottom and only 2 left on the top ? OR when you refer left you mean left side of the kart ?
On the RF spindle there are 2 washers on top and 5 on the bottom. On the LF spindle there are 6 washers on top and 1 on the bottom.

The scenario I’m speaking of is not my kart. A fellow racer bounced the idea off me and is trying this on his kart. It’s a Phantom Deuce. He’s somewhere in the 45 nose 58 left 62 cross range running 1.25” rear stagger. I know the cross will sound low but he’s trying to free it up. He’s fast but regardless of track conditions he always talks about being tight.

The scenario I’m speaking of is not my kart. A fellow racer bounced the idea off me and is trying this on his kart. It’s a Phantom Deuce. He’s somewhere in the 45 nose 58 left 62 cross range running 1.25” rear stagger. I know the cross will sound low but he’s trying to free it up. He’s fast but regardless of track conditions he always talks about being tight.
not a pro by no means, but is he sure its tight, or is that he doesn't have enough bite in tires? everything ive been told about that chassis, you need way more bite but im probably wrong!

jaymancds

Premium User
Sounds to me like he carries too much speed on entry so he can make the exit and calls it "Tight" when really its a push because hes driving it wrong.

On the RF spindle there are 2 washers on top and 5 on the bottom. On the LF spindle there are 6 washers on top and 1 on the bottom.
I'd be evening up the washers more on the LF and the RF and you should still be able to keep 62 cross, numbers aren't that bad he needs BITE in his tires.