A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Could of been either or both. What point in the race did this happen? It could of just been the tires coming in to there sweet spot. It could of also just been a bit of a line change on your part.

Last weekend I hit the setup pretty good, but a couple of times i felt the motor bog coming out of the corner and it felt like thentires were biting really hard. What caused this to happen only a couple of times? Is it driver error or a slight setup issue?

Thanks
At what point during the race ? How many laps between the couple of times it happened ?

Make sure you have NO side to side shift in rear axle it's possible that if you do it only binds up a few times causing it.
Just checked and it is good. Thank you

If I can offer some advice to the other beginners: Most of the problems I’ve experienced so far have been driver’s fault. Either I have taken an incorrect line or tried to do something the kart didn’t want to do.

Not every slow session requires an adjustment to the kart. Sometimes a driver mod is what is needed.

Just checked and it is good. Thank you

If I can offer some advice to the other beginners: Most of the problems I’ve experienced so far have been driver’s fault. Either I have taken an incorrect line or tried to do something the kart didn’t want to do.

Not every slow session requires an adjustment to the kart. Sometimes a driver mod is what is needed.
Newer kids are guilty of this as well with a fast kart, just as it exits the turn and starts to build speed they turn down being bottom feeders which re-loads the chassis scrubbing the speed out of it, and MOST dad's cannot see this and throw MORE $$$$ at it trying to buy the speed that's right under there nose.

If I prep my tires and end up not racing that weekend how would I go about prepping them for the next weekend. I usually only race every 2 weeks so ill prep with black sand and let cure. But what if I don't get to race and it will be 2 more weeks before I race again.
what was the overall answer ?

Some Basic info on different profiles ( Cuts ) for BURRIS Tires and Track condition there best suited for, This is more in general we'll continue then with some more details especially for 33"s, been meaning to turn this thread some with us asking some questions on different situations and you guy's answer, especially newer guy's giving answers on what you do or would do, so we'll try it with some tire situation questions later. I'll also ask some questions and we'll answer them ourselves Experienced guy's please chime in as well, my thought's are the newer guy's will learn more that way, So we'll start with Burris Tires after this Basic info that was requested.

REMEMBER I'M NO TIRE GURU But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times !!

New Un-Cut thick rubber - Softer more moist slick Low grip.
Semi Round or some call ( Summit Cut ) rubber in middle 1/3 left thicker - Lower to mid grip track.
Round Cut - Lower to mid grip track. ( Moist Slick OR Dry Slick )
Flat Cut - Above Mid grip to good grip.

New Un-Cut - from factory ( Some Sand Surface )
Semi Round Summit Cut - Edges rolled off but not as much as full round cut, Rubber in center left little thicker.
Round Cut - Edges rolled off more, Rubber cut same all the way across Tire.
Flat Cut - Edge left more squared, Rubber cut same all the way across Tire.

Cutting Tires is an art and worth the Money, There is big difference from a Tire guy and a guy that does Tires, However If you cannot afford to get your tires cut and you try to somewhat mimic the process by sanding, DO NOT SAND A DRY TIRE, DO NOT OVER HEAT THEM, DO NOT USE TO ROUGH GRIT PAPER.

This is just the Basics for just which cut in general, The REAL SPEED is made with properly CURED TIRE, PREPPED PROPERLY with the RIGHT PREP, ALL YA then even IF you have it you gotta put it on at the right time.

Last edited:
What is the best way to gear for a track with a hill? (Newton, IA) I was thinking a bigger driver would get the kart farther into the corner and allow it to keep more momentum.

What is the best way to gear for a track with a hill? (Newton, IA) I was thinking a bigger driver would get the kart farther into the corner and allow it to keep more momentum.
Provided your on the right front driver to start put 2 more teeth on the Rear for the up hill pull. Do not go up on front driver size.

Last edited:
That hill is deciving. Middle of the backstretch. D shape 3-5 lanes wide /up hill off the bottom. Going to far up will slow you down .
Young driver needs to be instructed about the lines they take and the options avalible .

Back