A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Provided your on the right front driver to start put 2 more teeth on the Rear for the up hill pull. Do not go up on front driver size.
When I made this response I assumed the up hill was off the turn, doubt it would have the same effect if hill is in middle of the back stretch, But still would not see going up a front driver size bigger being the answer either.

this is more of a side hill , steep progressive bank . Lots run up it , then down hill into turn 3. a tricky triangle if you will.
Staying lower could save 3-6 kart lengths of distance.

this is more of a side hill , steep progressive bank . Lots run up it , then down hill into turn 3. a tricky triangle if you will.
Staying lower could save 3-6 kart lengths of distance.
Got ya I was thinking a situation where the entire front stretch was higher than the backstretch or vise versa, giving a uphill pull either off turn 2 or off turn 4 we've raced that situation and had to just add teeth to the rear, still cannot see bigger front driver helping.

We were running Clone #370 1st time there but it seemed we were losing ground on the hill 15-64 was gearing pushing 6400 Rpm's on our fastest laps. The track is definitely a hard one to figure out.

We were running Clone #370 1st time there but it seemed we were losing ground on the hill 15-64 was gearing pushing 6400 Rpm's on our fastest laps. The track is definitely a hard one to figure out.
6400 RPM is low for 90% of clone motors, I'd be throwing 2 teeth to the rear going to 15/66 and try it.

Ive heard 33's are sensitive to prep. Does this mean they need less prep to work than other tires. What would be a good starting point for a mid to high grip track for weekly prep. Also Can the same set b run all night or need at least 2 sets. Im sure more sets is better but some of us are on a budget.

Ive heard 33's are sensitive to prep. Does this mean they need less prep to work than other tires. What would be a good starting point for a mid to high grip track for weekly prep. Also Can the same set b run all night or need at least 2 sets. Im sure more sets is better but some of us are on a budget.
All burris tires in general need less prep work, and depending where you run eternal prep work may not be needed.
New burris 33's run in the low-mid 50's new.
For a true high bite track, ideal would be the hardest you could get and the only way to achieve that IMO is time, buy them, mount them, put them out in the elements for a season to get them closer to 60 duro.
Weekly prep for high bite.
Prep only with a conditioner 2 times during the week, 2 light coats each time.
at the track let the conditions dictate what you prep with for PRW, if the track isnt gaining speed, prep with something for bite that doesnt dro the duro much.
If lap times are getting quicker, i would probably just be wiping them with acrysol.
The same set can be run all night, ideally you want as many RS and LR's you can afford, a soft set(48-50) med.(54-56) and a hard set(56-60)

Thanks for the info. I race three tracks locally. One is a burris only track and it is hard high bite track. From what you said I have been over prepping. I do have several sets just some better than others and all are 54-60 duro.

First remember to figure out which 33 is fastest for which ever track someone needs to prove that, but you still need to prove what works for you as it may vary slightly, and there are NUMEROUS options which most guy's over look.
Yes 33's are more sensitive to prep, especially AGGRESSIVE preps, however that does not mean in general always less prep, track condition dictates that. I had a guy explain it to me this way so I'll do the same, think of that 33 tire as a cake with thin layer of frosting with 33's you want that prep for 90% of the tracks to be the frosting, IF you get that prep to far into the tire where it would make the cake to moist they fall off ( yes there are a few softer tracks that stay moist slick it can be deeper ) Because of this the best guy's on 33's around here NEVER wipe a 33 through the week or roll them in prep, (Again maybe 1 set for a certain track ) they prep If at all at the track only, I've seen with 33's provided you have the right tires,with right cure time along and put them on at the right time NO prep ( Simple Green only ) will provide the best lap times, PROBLEM is to prove that there are so many options with not only Tire, Year, number of heat cycles, and Profile of various cut's that could end up 1 of 20 sets, this is why when someone faster shows up you need to pay attention walking around the pit and at the grid, one can learn a lot while NEVER asking any questions, look If there B 33's, SS 33'A, The Date Code, Thickness of the rubber, which cut IF cut at all, are they coming to the grid with wet tires, are they always last rushing to the grid, Do they ever check Air at the grid, learn as much as you can without asking questions, Don't be afraid to ask questions as well, worse they can do is not answer or lie to you BUT if you already looked and know the year and say the cut is round you'll know IF they lie to You, IF they do don't trust any of there info. AS far as running them all night, That depends on the competition IF you get away with it or not, You would NOT get away with it here at a BMS Series Race, even IF you only ran them to qualify 3 laps, BURRIS tires with out last any tire as far as number of races HOWEVER re-running them on the same day you will loose 1 to 2 tenth MIN. Plus back to the sensitive part IF you EVER wipe an AGGRESSIVE prep on a 33 because the track you were at required it, Then you go to a Track that makes High Grip that would NOT require that aggressive prep, That same 33 will never perform at MAX potential speed, Does not matter if it's a year later. This is just some of the info with 33's I could go on for another 2 pages SO I'll stop for now and will give more info later as guy's ask questions OR I'll just put it out there, ALSO this is WHY NEVER sell any of your 33's until cords are sticking out, UNLESS you never intend to go to different tracks or you quit racing.
NOW to answer your question If by saying Mid to High grip track I'm assuming Mid to Good grip for qualifying or heat racing, then High grip for race, and Indeed your definition of Mid to Good to High is same as mine, A 2018 set of SS 33 A , with numerous heat cycles on them, and flipped on the wheels, NEVER wiped with prep or If ever wiped was HARD Track base prep only, Depending on how early that class was in the line up would dictate If I tried round cuts or Flat cuts, Early Round cuts, Later Flat cuts, punching around 57 to 58 Duro scrubbed with Simple Green only would be a good choice, Then for the race A 2016 or 2017 set of SS 33 A , with Numerous heat cycles, flipped on the wheels, NEVER wiped with prep or if ever wiped was HARD track base prep only, Flat Cut's punching 62 to 64 Duro Scrubbed with Simple Green only would be a good choice.
Enough for Now !!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I race three tracks locally. One is a burris only track and it is hard high bite track. From what you said I have been over prepping. I do have several sets just some better than others and all are 54-60 duro.
Give more details on difference of all 3 tracks and normal track conditions ? Give more details on different sets of tires you have, wiped how much, with what all prep, IF there cut or not ?

Im still new and learn more everyday. But I have a few sets from 15-17 date code and some even older sets. Older sets are softer on duro newer ones are on the 56-60 duro. I have some of all cuts. I have never wiped them with aggressive but they were bought used so im sure some of them have been. But I have been using black sand a couple wipes then letting cure and by the end of the night been very tight usually very good in qualifying. From what you said seems like wipe during the week and maybe just clean at the track. Would track tac tire wash be ok or should I use simple green. Usually just run burris at the med to high grip track. I say med to high grip because im usually on anything less than 58 duro I feather the tires. The other 2 tracks are low to med bite and I usually run maxxis at those tracks as they have no tire rule.

Im still new and learn more everyday. But I have a few sets from 15-17 date code and some even older sets. Older sets are softer on duro newer ones are on the 56-60 duro. I have some of all cuts. I have never wiped them with aggressive but they were bought used so im sure some of them have been. But I have been using black sand a couple wipes then letting cure and by the end of the night been very tight usually very good in qualifying. From what you said seems like wipe during the week and maybe just clean at the track. Would track tac tire wash be ok or should I use simple green. Usually just run burris at the med to high grip track. I say med to high grip because im usually on anything less than 58 duro I feather the tires. The other 2 tracks are low to med bite and I usually run maxxis at those tracks as they have no tire rule.
IF older tires are softer they have been wiped more or they would not be softer, That's just backwards from what you want, that's why when buying used Tires you need to know all details and I would only buy used 33's from certain people. Which Cut is on the set that's your referring to as good for qualifying and you get tight for the race ? How many wipes during the week with the Black Sand & When ? What are you wiping at the track ?
I know NOTHING about track tac tire wash other than how it's advertised, The Simple Green keeps the feel I'm looking for and what I've always used and have seen the best tire guy's in our area use with 33's.

I only use the older softer for first practice. Usually 2 wipes at least 7 days before if not longer. Im using a hard track wipe at the track.

Im thinking round or semi round. From what you wrote a flat cut would seem to be the ticket maybe for the feature. Thanks for all the info. We don't have any tire guys local and most of the ones I have talked too on the phone don't know the track and give a suggestion on the info I give them. Which is usually pretty close and I probably mess it up lol.

It really depends on the prep you are using as well.
A lot of times when you see fast guys wiping with something aggressive (green, etc) at the track (PRW only), they'll throw a new/fresh set of tires on the car every time it hits the track. That's because the harsh prep gets the tire "gummy" and it kills roll speed if that tire is re-used the same night. These same guys will set that tire outside in the elements for a couple of weeks after running it to dry/cure it out before refinishing and using that tire the same way (harsh PRW) again.
Other preps, (ours included) don't drop off in speed if you re-apply it at the track and re-use that same set of tires. It's a whole different program of prepping that takes a different mindset to understand. More wipes = more bite. If you need less bite, then back off the prep. Hard "bite-up" tracks require less bite in the tires.
I'm not a big fan of Simple Green for cleaning the tires because it brings the oils out of the tire (to the surface - that's why they feel good.) For most high bite tracks, that method of bringing the oil to the surface works to provide adequate bite, but it really dries out the tire.
poboy asked about TT tire wash instead of Simple Green -- NOT if you're following Ken's advice. TT tire wash won't bring the oils to the surface nearly as much as Simple Green - it will not dry the tires out over time as badly either.

If you'd like more information on our Burris program and line of preps, please feel free to call us at the shop number below.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have a jr champ that i am really struggling finding out what chassis it is. Could someone please help. I am pretty good at setting it up. But with a 10 year old driver only on his second season. And being forced by our local track to bump him up to blue plate. I am afraid i won't be able to find parts if something breaks.

I have a jr champ that i am really struggling finding out what chassis it is. Could someone please help. I am pretty good at setting it up. But with a 10 year old driver only on his second season. And being forced by our local track to bump him up to blue plate. I am afraid i won't be able to find parts if something breaks.
Give some details & pictures if you can, good chance someone will know I'm not up on the champ stuff good chance Jamie, Brian, Earl, J.P or Flatop can help.

Last edited:
Back