A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Tires . You need somthing different for the push .
Went with different tires, changed air pressures and still have a push. He is 6 so it's hard to get details on what he's feeling. Kart is good on entry just looks like he's tight in the center to off

Is the goal to gear for max RPM at the end of the straight away so that you can guestimate the RPM on corner exit being in the power band of a stock Predator 212 motor?

Is ratio ratio, or does front driver size matter even at the same ratio? I have heard it's less important with higher low end torque.

What is the best way to set up for a bumpy track? (Say a 4 foot section has peeled off the top 1" deep on corner entry)

What effect does leaning out over the LR tire have on kart handling? Is it indicative of an improper set up requiring body position corrections to compensate?

Post weekend storage preparations?

On a humorous note...
Why don't most tracks run feature races longer than 20 Laps?
Why do half the tracks in my area not have websites and only facebook pages?
Why does every track have its own Stock Predator ruleset....?

Last edited:
When decreasing rear stagger do you want to keep the RS tires the same and grow the LR or shrink the RR tire I think I know the answer just need confirmation.

Yes , though that brings another variable in .
One set of tires it wont make much difference which tire you size .
If you have multiple sets having the rights the same is best .
Chassis rake is a consideration also .

OK, setting up a a predator 212 SuperStock kart, I'm looking for BASIC setup as far as wheels/tires and stagger. I've searched the forums and gotten some data . The local series is 3 dirt tracks, hard/dry slick, 1/9th mile tracks, fairly flat. Hoosier Dirt treaded D30 are the tire, looking to run about 1 1/2 in. stagger, toe at 1/8th.... my question is what size wheel/tire on the outside, I'm assuming it needs to be about a 34" inch circumference with a 6 inch wheel and around a 32.5 on the inside (might need a 5 inch wheel to get this ?)

Not looking for the roadmap from anyone, because I know how to set a car up (spent years racing Dwarfs & Legends) just a point in the right direction.

Your going to have to start with standard 10 " rights maybe 9.5 .
Treads generally run bigger , not having run hoosier's they may be different .

OK, setting up a a predator 212 SuperStock kart, I'm looking for BASIC setup as far as wheels/tires and stagger. I've searched the forums and gotten some data . The local series is 3 dirt tracks, hard/dry slick, 1/9th mile tracks, fairly flat. Hoosier Dirt treaded D30 are the tire, looking to run about 1 1/2 in. stagger, toe at 1/8th.... my question is what size wheel/tire on the outside, I'm assuming it needs to be about a 34" inch circumference with a 6 inch wheel and around a 32.5 on the inside (might need a 5 inch wheel to get this ?)

Not looking for the roadmap from anyone, because I know how to set a car up (spent years racing Dwarfs & Legends) just a point in the right direction.

If you use the standard width tires in Hoosier D30 treads, you will end up with your right sides @ 37"+ on 10" wheels (even with a lot of effort sizing them.)
Keep in mind that these tires were designed to be used with 250 & 500cc winged outlaw cage karts -- (=really different application.)
They are way overkill for the limited HP that you will be running.
We have a better way to do this with restricted and limited horsepower karts.
Give us a call at the shop Mon-Thurs (8-6est) and we can fix you up.

We also cut, sipe, needle, and prep treaded tires if needed.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

A question about fixing 4 wheel drift.

Up front I sure don't mind being wrong about anything I write, especially if my error is explained to me and I learn from it. So from the first word I write below i'm not sure about it.

Many years ago on here I was hard headed about thinking I understood a 4 wheel drift and I was wrong. I'm not talking about drifting across the track coming off a corner while your accelerating and still have some turning to do to complete the turn, mainly in turns 2 and 4. I'm talking about a real 4 wheel drift of all four tires.

Before it being explained to me well enough for it to sink into my hard head I thought the fix for a 4 wheel drift was to use the left side tires more, mainly adding left side weight. I now see a 4 wheel drift the result of the left side tires giving out and since there gone the already over used right side tires are not going to do anything either to hold you down low on the track. Hence you all 4 wheel drift up and across the track.

The fix which was drummed into my head year ago was not about more left side weight but about having more right side weight to get more use out of your right side tires. Though I now see more involved I accept the fix I stated in the last sentence as correct.

Here's my question. With a kart in addition to needing more right side weight, because your going slower on the track do you also need to do something to make it easier for your kart chassis to move or get weight to the right?

... ok ... :) ... lol the answer dirt karting is probably to put more grip into the right side tires. ... :)

... but after writing all that i'll leave the question on here anyway to see what might be replied.

Here's what we do to fix a 4 wheel drift (in order.)

1.) More bite in the tires.
2.) Lower left %.
3.) Raise the roll center.*

* When we run a small temporary (fairground) track that typically is a total dust bowl, we raise the seat 1 inch.
All of our karts have an extra hole drilled in the seat straight below the existing one, and we use a 1" rubber spacer to block the front of the seat up on the seat slides.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^^^^^^ what Brian stated above has been tried, tested and proved to work 100%! I got the W to prove it.
671083E6-514F-40C8-8A47-A5A7A3F3CE0D.jpeg

Last edited:
What is roll speed? Is it just the ability for the kart to roll? How much friction the tires make? What affects will it have? Is having the roll speed the fastest while maintaining enough grip the perfect scenario?

What is roll speed? Is it just the ability for the kart to roll? How much friction the tires make? What affects will it have? Is having the roll speed the fastest while maintaining enough grip the perfect scenario? YES
The kart rolling freely as little resistance as possible.

Going to start posting some big mistakes I see going on that is stopping guy's from making much progress if any.
Biggest being monitoring there progress totally based on finishing position VS lap times, ( especially guy's with kids racing ) Example : race last week get 6th out of 8, gearing off, tires are off, kids missing his line every lap, race this week only 5 karts all same problems still there, RPM are off in heat race make a gearing change when not needed, go out feature and finish 3rd out of 5 because 2 kids get hooked up and shuffled to the rear late in the race, there kart was actually slower than week before and there jumping for joy there kid finished 3rd ( which just that part is OK ) here's the bad part of it is they actually think they have made the kart MUCH better because of the gear change. This would be fine if there solely racing for fun regardless of finish not worrying about progress with NO intent to move onto more competitive racing.
But there frustrated with there progress and wanting to move up into series racing.

Some others
Only chasing gearing ( RPM's ) when chassis adjustments, Tires, Driver running line or all the above are needed.
Not considering track condition change, whatever worked last week should work this week.
Still wiping Aggressive prep and using heat once track dries out.
Staying on the wrong compound of tire for there features.
As guy's comment I'll add to it, Moral to the story I guess is DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS Matter !! And paying attention does not cost a dime !!

Back