A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

Another tip on prepping LEARN your competition there are guy's that can only run up front when track requires tires prepped aggressively, and there are guy's that can only run up front when prepping very little, it's a good gauge when track is in the transition period getting better and your scratching your head when to back off on aggressiveness and amount of prep.

Another tip mostly for guy's with Rookie drivers but not always just rookies, you hear all the time my driver does not know the difference between push, tight & loose, and cannot tell me, So some night after the races are over and they just had a decent run on the kart when it handled good, give them a heads up to be cautious when they hit the turn kart will be different and only do 2 or 3 laps, then on same tires and pressure except add 15 lb to the RF then pull them in and explain that's a push, then reset air except add that 15 lb to the RR same thing 2 or 3 laps they'll figure out loose, then reset air again putting .75 lb more air in the left side tires than the right side tires 2 to 3 more laps that's tight. While there out like this way you yourself listen to the motor pull down and give them a heads up to have there ears wide open.

On a side note a lot of times with kids dad thinks kart is loose when actually it's a push first then to much wheel input causes it to grab at some point and snap loose.

My son is 9 and this will be his first year racing. I dont have any tracks close to get practice time for him. What would be the best way to go about getting him use to the speeds and competition level of the kids that have been racing several years?

My son is 9 and this will be his first year racing. I dont have any tracks close to get practice time for him. What would be the best way to go about getting him use to the speeds and competition level of the kids that have been racing several years?
Well my son started when he was 5, I'd never raced before so I didn't know nothing about nothing, but he lover to drive his yard kart he had at the time and he begged to race it, so I did some searching and came across oval dirt kart racing world! Back to topic, once I brought his kart I threw him to the wolves and went to a decent size race and quickly realized he wasn't comfortable in his kart, I found a open parking lot at a church and i set up cones and I just let him ride circles for how ever long he wanted multiple times. I just wanted him to be comfortable. His second race went better, As for as getting use to speed and competition, it will just have to be plenty of seat time with the competition, Like I'd said earlier I never raced before so I'm sure there will be more experience people give you good advice. I know Racing Promoter will have some good advice for you once he sees your question!

Well my son started when he was 5, I'd never raced before so I didn't know nothing about nothing, but he lover to drive his yard kart he had at the time and he begged to race it, so I did some searching and came across oval dirt kart racing world! Back to topic, once I brought his kart I threw him to the wolves and went to a decent size race and quickly realized he wasn't comfortable in his kart, I found a open parking lot at a church and i set up cones and I just let him ride circles for how ever long he wanted multiple times. I just wanted him to be comfortable. His second race went better, As for as getting use to speed and competition, it will just have to be plenty of seat time with the competition, Like I'd said earlier I never raced before so I'm sure there will be more experience people give you good advice. I know Racing Promoter will have some good advice for you once he sees your question!
Thanks for the advice. I have raced and I learned by having a track in my backyard. Due to not having a big yard now i cant do that. But a parking lot should do fine for now. Just going to find a smaller show at first to get his feet wet then work our way up.

I feel like yard kart was a big confidence booster for my oldest. We got the racing and yard kart about the same time. He watched lightening McQueen one day and the next time in hotlaps he was whipping the steering wheel and "drifting" I asked him after hot laps why he was doing that and he told me about the movie. Had to explain in karts that straighter is usually the fast way around. Maturity level plays a big part in driving as well, some nights they will be on the money some nights you will see they have minds somewhere else. My oldest is super competitive and was wanting to quit after a couple races cause they were all faster(I had him on red plate and they were green). Once I was sure he could handle it I put a green plate on and started trying to get him more power. He loves it now that he can compete. All that to say that the yard kart was our biggest help, make the yard kart fast so he can get some of the same speeds he sees on the race track

Throwing a kid to the wolves and overwhelming them is more on dad, as to many think little Jr can really wheel his little quad or back yard kart so let's go racing, They go buy good stuff and all they basically tell the kid is go show them how it's done, at a race they have no business at in the first place.
Personally for me to even consider a parking lot it would have to be wide open area NOT a single vehicle in it and NO other obstacles, and I had permission from the owner ( which will be tough in today's world ) remember Murphy's law applies in all cases of karting, so I would have a kill switch for the motor up on the wheel, then go over EVERY possible scenario that may happen, of course have and use all safety equipment.
Even if you find that I would still find the closest track to me and work out the best deal I could with the track owner, to get maximum amount of laps possible per trip, even If they have NO practice races start out season racing points .I would talk to them and not enter per class I would ask to be by himself most will squeeze it in, and If they allow track time after races take advantage of that. Then once you get him in with the others based on what your seeing with him and his class, don't pressure him to run up front and request he start in the rear, IF you set a goal make it reasonable again based on what your seeing it may be only get lapped twice, or once, or just stay on lead lap, while this is going on be patient and you learn as much about set-up, tires, prep as possible. Go over all the flags and hand signals with him, when he's not out have him at the fence watching was much as possible, at 9 yrs old he should pick it up little quicker but you never know.
For his first race with other experienced kids prepare him once they catch him to lap him what to do, make sure he knows how many in his class when they start lapping him move up to high side of the groove let them go, but don't panic stay sooth, make sure how many there are don't as soon as one goes by cut right back down in groove because there will be more coming. Make sure you get a good base line under it as long as it's handling leave your fingers off of it for awhile not trying to fins speed UNTIL the driver is ready to find speed, I've seen dad's spend thousands more to try to run up front when what there on will run up front, the only reason there not is the kids not ready to. Make it FUN !!

Good Luck !!

Throwing a kid to the wolves and overwhelming them is more on dad, as to many think little Jr can really wheel his little quad or back yard kart so let's go racing, They go buy good stuff and all they basically tell the kid is go show them how it's done, at a race they have no business at in the first place.
Personally for me to even consider a parking lot it would have to be wide open area NOT a single vehicle in it and NO other obstacles, and I had permission from the owner ( which will be tough in today's world ) remember Murphy's law applies in all cases of karting, so I would have a kill switch for the motor up on the wheel, then go over EVERY possible scenario that may happen, of course have and use all safety equipment.
Even if you find that I would still find the closest track to me and work out the best deal I could with the track owner, to get maximum amount of laps possible per trip, even If they have NO practice races start out season racing points .I would talk to them and not enter per class I would ask to be by himself most will squeeze it in, and If they allow track time after races take advantage of that. Then once you get him in with the others based on what your seeing with him and his class, don't pressure him to run up front and request he start in the rear, IF you set a goal make it reasonable again based on what your seeing it may be only get lapped twice, or once, or just stay on lead lap, while this is going on be patient and you learn as much about set-up, tires, prep as possible. Go over all the flags and hand signals with him, when he's not out have him at the fence watching was much as possible, at 9 yrs old he should pick it up little quicker but you never know.
For his first race with other experienced kids prepare him once they catch him to lap him what to do, make sure he knows how many in his class when they start lapping him move up to high side of the groove let them go, but don't panic stay sooth, make sure how many there are don't as soon as one goes by cut right back down in groove because there will be more coming. Make sure you get a good base line under it as long as it's handling leave your fingers off of it for awhile not trying to fins speed UNTIL the driver is ready to find speed, I've seen dad's spend thousands more to try to run up front when what there on will run up front, the only reason there not is the kids not ready to. Make it FUN !!

Good Luck !!
Thanks. We will ease into it. I have been having him watch races on youtube. Trying to understand starts and what to expect.

I am going to start racing in a box stock class this spring, they run maxxis pinks and blues. I was told to buy used tires with less tread for weight and the lack of horsepower, im wondering if new cut tires would be better, being new I’m not sure who and what to believe.

I am going to start racing in a box stock class this spring, they run maxxis pinks and blues. I was told to buy used tires with less tread for weight and the lack of horsepower, im wondering if new cut tires would be better, being new I’m not sure who and what to believe.
Where will you be racing ? Day or night ? what weight ? Box Stock Clone ? Or Predator ?

Foothills raceway. Usually day stock predator
You stand a better chance of take offs working, but that doesn't make it for sure track may require fresh new rubber ( maybe someone that knows the track can confirm ) when used with maxxis they cannot be run to many races that both shoulders are gone, they would most likely need re rolled and you'll still need to prep according to conditions outside, you will run more air pressure as the normal Sr Classes as well.
what state is the track in ?

You stand a better chance of take offs working, but that doesn't make it for sure track may require fresh new rubber ( maybe someone that knows the track can confirm ) when used with maxxis they cannot be run to many races that both shoulders are gone, they would most likely need re rolled and you'll still need to prep according to conditions outside, you will run more air pressure as the normal Sr Classes as well.
what state is the track in ?
SC.

Some Basic Stagger Info: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A HOT BOX TO SET STAGGER, It's Simply the Right side tires being bigger than the Left side tires, You can Shrink a tire by heating it even if just setting it in the sun, pull the valve gut and cool it quickly, If I need more than 1/8" I put the tire in the freezer for 30 min, sometimes you may have to repeat steps a few times. Growing a Tire Heat it up in some manner I use a torch put tape measure around it add Air until it's at least 1" bigger than needed or little more, let it set for 30 min leave air out set pressure and check, Again may need to repeat steps, If your not sure what stagger does get a Foam or Solo cup taller one with bigger top smaller bottom, lay it on a table put big end to the right and roll it straight forward, You will then learn the affect of stagger. To hold proper stagger once you get tires right BEFORE you leave the track purge LR of all air, purge LF at least 2 lb less than normal race pressure, Pump air in Right sides around 12 lb and store them on the rack till next race, your stagger will then hold REAL CLOSE.

Front stagger : If you cannot clarify where to set it just use between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" keep it the same and LET it alone.
NOTE : adding front stagger will add cross ( REMEMBER CROSS is a FINE tuning adjustment )

Rear stagger : 12th mile track use 1 3/4" at least 1 1/2", 10th mile track use 1 5/8" at least 1 1/2", 1/8th mile track use 1 1/2" at least 1 1/4",
1/7th mile track use 1 1/4" at least 1 1/8", 1/6th mile track use 1 1/8" at least 1", 1/5th mile track use 1" to 7/8", 1/4 mile track use 3/4" Bigger than 1/4 mile you can go as low as 1/2". NOTE : Don't trust advertised track size they usually over estimate them, a tenth mile is 528 lf you can get close by walking the groove a good full stride is roughly three feet. Also with rear stagger IF LOW grip track you can use little less.

AGAIN experienced guy's especially tire guy's feel free to chime in.
Back up so guy's see it that may not have searched the entire thread yet, as there have been some stagger questions lately.

Thanks for all the experienced info on here! What would be a good starting air pressure on a moist track for clone heavy with maxxis tires.

Just realized it's been awhile since posted here, SO another tip If your forced to run high VCG in a SR class because your not comfortable or whatever reason, also change to real low cross set up, and Increase caster split 5 * to as much as 6 *, at that point if you need to adjust reducing the amount of split will tighten the kart.

Back