A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

To high is the biggest one

How high is too high for jr driver? I mounted our seat at 9" off axle.. installed the seat savors... was so proud of myself lol Driver can't see over the steering wheel :confused:

My driver is about 4' 9" 110lb. Not sure how high to go with the seat at the moment. Planning to pickup some adjustable Slack struts from JCs today... trying to avoid redrilling the seat if possible. Slack says 10 -11" is no problem... what if that isn't enough?

The most important thing is that the driver is comfortable and can see .
If it has to go higer so be it .
You could also raise it entirely .
How far above the frame rails is the bottom currently ?
Lowering the steering wheel is also an option .

The most important thing is that the driver is comfortable and can see .
If it has to go higer so be it .
You could also raise it entirely .
How far above the frame rails is the bottom currently ?
Lowering the steering wheel is also an option .
It may be level or slightly below the top of frame rails.

no, it's a used 2014 xpect. Had a small chavous seat on it but was too small in bottom / too low. We found a JKB Evolution at JCs that fit well.
Are you scaling it yourself or your hooked up with someone ? If not Jon Keister at KKP is a slack dealer and not far from Jc's they would have all his info, I'd highly recommend him so will Jc's.

Newbie to day time big series races need help, run a couple of these now but can’t find no roll speed, feel like been pretty close on tires, one show was told I was gear bound, my questions r how can I tell if we Gearbound, just asking how u approach a daytime race and prevent being to soft on tires and being gear bound jr3 driver that really can’t tell me anything

I mainly just listen to him compared to others. If he’s in the pedal just a deep as the other kids through the turns and off and is just plain getting out run down the chute your gear bound. Then you look into how’s he or she is driving... if they are maintaining momentum and the kart is handling well go up a driver size. If he or she is still not up to par with the others with the driving part just drop teeth until they are up to speed and able to make momentum..... that’s how I do it anyhow.

Newbie to day time big series races need help, run a couple of these now but can’t find no roll speed, feel like been pretty close on tires, one show was told I was gear bound, my questions r how can I tell if we Gearbound, just asking how u approach a daytime race and prevent being to soft on tires and being gear bound jr3 driver that really can’t tell me anything
First in case familiar with the track which series and track were you at.

There is no simple answer other than do your homework ahead of time on both, as far as gearing ask what SR Clones are on and usually Jr 3 will be 1 driver size bigger close same rear, If your drops are pretty low but you got no speed good sign of gear bound, If your adding teeth to rear but RPM don't change your gear bound. As far as tires if your selection is limited and you go out early practice and are to good tires are to soft for later.

Can you have bite without softening a tire without locking a kart down on a hard track
Yes with preps like So Co bite in a can, palmetto fire, hot lap, just to name a few, and depending on the tire you can have bite with no prep at all especially with Burris 33's. But just the fact track is hard does not always equal lock down.

Can you have bite without softening a tire without locking a kart down on a hard track

Our Black Bite 2.0 does exactly this. More coats = more bite. So simple to use and doesn't drop the durometer at all.
Give us a call if we can help you with any of our prep line and tire program.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Very well could have been locked down. Too much prep in the tires and too soft.

Some Basic Stagger Info: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY A HOT BOX TO SET STAGGER, It's Simply the Right side tires being bigger than the Left side tires, You can Shrink a tire by heating it even if just setting it in the sun, pull the valve gut and cool it quickly, If I need more than 1/8" I put the tire in the freezer for 30 min, sometimes you may have to repeat steps a few times. Growing a Tire Heat it up in some manner I use a torch put tape measure around it add Air until it's at least 1" bigger than needed or little more, let it set for 30 min leave air out set pressure and check, Again may need to repeat steps, If your not sure what stagger does get a Foam or Solo cup taller one with bigger top smaller bottom, lay it on a table put big end to the right and roll it straight forward, You will then learn the affect of stagger. To hold proper stagger once you get tires right BEFORE you leave the track purge LR of all air, purge LF at least 2 lb less than normal race pressure, Pump air in Right sides around 12 lb and store them on the rack till next race, your stagger will then hold REAL CLOSE.

Front stagger : If you cannot clarify where to set it just use between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" keep it the same and LET it alone.
NOTE : adding front stagger will add cross ( REMEMBER CROSS is a FINE tuning adjustment )

Rear stagger : 12th mile track use 1 3/4" at least 1 1/2", 10th mile track use 1 5/8" at least 1 1/2", 1/8th mile track use 1 1/2" at least 1 1/4",
1/7th mile track use 1 1/4" at least 1 1/8", 1/6th mile track use 1 1/8" at least 1", 1/5th mile track use 1" to 7/8", 1/4 mile track use 3/4" Bigger than 1/4 mile you can go as low as 1/2". NOTE : Don't trust advertised track size they usually over estimate them, a tenth mile is 528 lf you can get close by walking the groove a good full stride is roughly three feet. Also with rear stagger IF LOW grip track you can use little less.

AGAIN experienced guy's especially tire guy's feel free to chime in.

With some of the new treads being posted with questions, maybe some guy's have not seen this thread or have not read all the way through it.

Back