A GO TO thread for the new or newer dirt oval racers offering Info & Support

racing promotor

Moderator​

More from an Engineering answer without typing a book. ( which I'm not, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times )

Caster provides the self-centering effect for the steering, Caster also controls how much of the static weight is transferred as dynamic weight during cornering, Increasing caster makes the front end bite more gives steering more feel and will work the right side tires harder, Decreasing will give less feeling in steering and decreases weight transferred during cornering, you also decrease dynamic weight transfer and the LR will NOT unload as much.
Experienced racers will tell you more like, Big tracks less caster, small tracks more, High bite track less caster, lower bite more caster, close split more weight transfer, open split up more less weight transfer. This is based on Oval LTO racing.

As stated for now set it at 7 left 10 right, or 8 & 12 and leave it alone

I wanted to add that generally if I'm moving my caster from 7 & 10 to 8 & 12 it's because the track is smaller or has tighter turns and I want the transfer to happen quicker. If you have the right amount of stagger you don't need to raise caster, but on some tracks it can be hard to tell, that or you weren't able to get the stagger you needed on an 8.5" wheel. So setting caster higher at like 9 & 12 can make that left rear slip enough to get you through the turn. You can either lower your front stagger to get the left front more involved, or raise caster on the left front and leave your front stagger what you usually run. I like to go with the caster change because it seems a bit more suited for counter steering if needed, or if you come out of the turn and it's not turning enough on exit, the angle the tire is moving will be sharper and help teeter the left rear a bit more so you turn better on exit

How important is the left front on a kid champ kart. We’re running a Rage Nitro right now with the Rage short left front spindle and regular wheel. Which replaces the Rage flip wheel. Should we switch back to a regular spindle with a flip wheel, or a regular wheel? How close should we run that wheel in towards the frame and how much does moving that wheel change or effect the set up? Just trying to understand the dynamics of it all.

How important is the left front on a kid champ kart. We’re running a Rage Nitro right now with the Rage short left front spindle and regular wheel. Which replaces the Rage flip wheel. Should we switch back to a regular spindle with a flip wheel, or a regular wheel? How close should we run that wheel in towards the frame and how much does moving that wheel change or effect the set up? Just trying to understand the dynamics of it all.
As far as which one to use I'd talk to Jeff at rage about that, I would think you want it far in as you can run it without wheel hitting spindle arm

Yeah we did, and he set us up with the short spindle and using a regular wheel and it’s in as far as it can be without rubbing right now, but we’re being told so many different things. To that’s not going to work change it back to a regular spindle. What works for Jeff doesn’t always work here. People are telling us to move it out. That’s why I was asking on here to see what effect the LF really makes to try and understand what’s all going on. We run at Shellhammers which is a 1/8 dirt oval.

Yeah we did, and he set us up with the short spindle and using a regular wheel and it’s in as far as it can be without rubbing right now, but we’re being told so many different things. To that’s not going to work change it back to a regular spindle. What works for Jeff doesn’t always work here. People are telling us to move it out. That’s why I was asking on here to see what effect the LF really makes to try and understand what’s all going on. We run at Shellhammers which is a 1/8 dirt oval.
Sounds like your searching for speed , If so is there a certain handling issue that's holding you back, or is kart handling ok just lacking speed

the flip wheel is only an advantage in the ability too use both edges of the tire and not have to dismount it .
the lft front spindle length long or short . would be in the weight jacking effect . camber and caster will play a role in this as well .
If its working for you and not a driving issue or handling problem . leave it .
Trying to blend advice from multiple sources will lead to confusion and mixed results .

Ok Thanks guys. I mostly just need to get him seat time being only 5 and starting out. It’s a kids champ kart so not really searching for speed. Just trying to make the best handling I can so I can get him to stay on the gas the whole way around. We’ve improved now that I got him off the bottom. He only ever complains it’s to slippery, but I think once we start the year on fresh new tires that have some side bite instead of old hand me downs we started with will play a big part in that also. Just trying to understand the whole left front and what it actually plays into set up or not. Like I said everyone here says something different and I think it’s because it’s they never ran or dealt with the short LF spindle or flip wheel.

Ok Thanks guys. I mostly just need to get him seat time being only 5 and starting out. It’s a kids champ kart so not really searching for speed. Just trying to make the best handling I can so I can get him to stay on the gas the whole way around. We’ve improved now that I got him off the bottom. He only ever complains it’s to slippery, but I think once we start the year on fresh new tires that have some side bite instead of old hand me downs we started with will play a big part in that also. Just trying to understand the whole left front and what it actually plays into set up or not. Like I said everyone here says something different and I think it’s because it’s they never ran or dealt with the short LF spindle or flip wheel.
At this point I wouldn't worry about which way it is, I'd continue with what you got until you get basic set up figured out, once he's up to speed then test what's best for the LF

Ok sounds great. Again I didn’t know if there was a standard set up distance to keep the wheel at, but most seem to agree in as close as you can get it is the best. Which is what we have now.

Some more info meant to help you in the end, Don't find yourself getting caught up in EVERYONE else is cheating theory without proof, as it will only hold you back from doing what it takes for yourself to get better and ever have a chance to WIN !!
And don't stoop to cheating yourself, as you still won't WIN !!

Here is my build sheet, using maxxis slicks at our local track, rpm was only around 5600 at one point, but felt like I had more there, what size clutch gear and rear gear would you use?, also thoughts on a bully clutch. Please and thank you..also using a 2007 ultramax inferno chassis

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220906-142155_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220906-142155_OneDrive.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 40
Here is my build sheet, using maxxis slicks at our local track, rpm was only around 5600 at one point, but felt like I had more there, what size clutch gear and rear gear would you use?, also thoughts on a bully clutch. Please and thank you..also using a 2007 ultramax inferno chassis
Which class and weight is this for ?
Did your builder give you target RPM’S ?
Which track ? Dirt oval ?
Track size ?

Back