A GX160 Predator ?

I know this is just a bit off topic, but would like to know if Predator head fits the Honda/Clone and is it possible to get straight cut gears instead of helical gears....

You can have straight cut gears made but why?
...Years ago I thought about the straight gear cause Briggs had all those nice cam grinds and we just had regrinds/cut base circles that wore out with 18/26lb springs. but not these days. We have a bunch to select from now..

In an open with heavy springs and a stroker crank, I think the cam push the crank towards the sidecover and in my case it's destroying the shims. Maybe have the shim on the fly side. The crank on the gear side don't have a very good resting surface for a shim.

In an open with heavy springs and a stroker crank, I think the cam push the crank towards the sidecover and in my case it's destroying the shims. Maybe have the shim on the fly side. The crank on the gear side don't have a very good resting surface for a shim.

OK , I see your concern...You might want to reduce the side clearance on the crank more. Sounds like its walking back and forth.

NR sells 2 stroker cranks. A .060" and the Arc .175" stroker , which one you talking about ? Also changing the side cover to a billet "fits all" opens up all kinds of clearance issues. I'm thinking, That's why the shims. Also I believe you have to install the bearings yourself. Even the thickness of your sidecover gasket will make a difference. Sounds like some unwanted movement is happening...

NR sells 2 stroker cranks. A .060" and the Arc .175" stroker , which one you talking about ? Also changing the side cover to a billet "fits all" opens up all kinds of clearance issues. I'm thinking, That's why the shims. Also I believe you have to install the bearings yourself. Even the thickness of your sidecover gasket will make a difference. Sounds like some unwanted movement is happening...

I would agree, maybe try a thinner sidecover gasket and see if that helps fix the issue and take some of the clearance out?

I feel it would take a tremendous amount of force for the cam to be causing this, I would assume you would see more wear at the cam bosses than at the crank. I would dare to guess the crank is too tight not enough clearance to begin with.

I feel it would take a tremendous amount of force for the cam to be causing this, I would assume you would see more wear at the cam bosses than at the crank. I would dare to guess the crank is too tight not enough clearance to begin with.
I had to make new shims, the old on was destroyed, but they go in flat and come out stretched and wavey like been hit with a mallet. I build animals as well, and they do not have that problem. I can deal with this, but in my opinion it would be better with straight cut gears, there may even be a power advantage. I've noticed that some Clones/Hondas have a tendency to loose or have loose sidecover bolts, if it's related I don't know, but one can't help start thinking and that's why it's so nice to get on the forum here and get peoples experience and opinions.

I had to make new shims, the old on was destroyed, but they go in flat and come out stretched and wavey like been hit with a mallet. I build animals as well, and they do not have that problem. I can deal with this, but in my opinion it would be better with straight cut gears, there may even be a power advantage. I've noticed that some Clones/Hondas have a tendency to loose or have loose sidecover bolts, if it's related I don't know, but one can't help start thinking and that's why it's so nice to get on the forum here and get peoples experience and opinions.
You bring up a great point. We all deal with the sidecover bolts in different ways but no one has figured out why this happens..

You bring up a great point. We all deal with the sidecover bolts in different ways but no one has figured out why this happens..
That's very good to know that we aren't the only ones. Never had that problem with the animal.
Some years ago I built a race engine from a Suzuki Gsx 1100 which had helical gears on the clutch basket and if we didn't change the gears to straight cut, it would trow the clutch out the sidecover.

Back