A new toy...

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
A fun addition to my CRG LTO. Astute observes may note that this is assembled "backwards." Robbie Harper must have put the crank halves in reverse to run it as shown. Interesting. Have to decide whether to run a jackshaft backwards too, or put an axle clutch on.
1638762244411.png

Yo Ted ,as you probably know Mr. Robby Harper has been running B stock in the enduro class longer than you have been on this planet lol. B stock are the twin engine karts so that's where it came from. I run my 270 on a j shaft with that configuration. O ya sorry Robby didn't mean to expose your age lol see ya at Daytona. Chuck.

Yes, Chuck, I know WHY it is how it is...it's only "unconventional" for a LTO setup. But it may work to my advantage if I can find an old Horstman axle clutch like the 135cc class used to run on sprint. Don't worry...I got it figured out.

Not worried at all Ted, but why a old Horstman they have been making new ones for a few years now.Chuck.

Most European manufacturers built versions of their engines under special order for the US market, not just people reversing cranks here. All my PCRs are right side engine to be driven from inboard. Very common setup for US chassis and also some chassis manufacturers released a few of them that allowed to drive the chain inside instead of outside.

Something to possibly consider: exhaust pipes "act" measurably different when they are straight vs. having the typical bends in them from a normal configuration.

At least that's my experience.

PM

@Pete_Muller - interesting! What prompted that, though? I'm going to find a standard pipe to run with this Sudam. Any recommendations? It's stock, as far as I know, on gas. It's getting mounted on the "right" side, and I'm swapping out the belt driver for a #35 driver to an axle clutch.

Ted,

You might ping Mike Collins with this question. He has done a huge amount of dyno testing on many different engines (brands and displacement) as well as many different pipe manufacturers.

PM

Back