A Step Back In Time....with twin engine sprints

At the end of the season we went to Whiteland Raceway Park, the oldest sprint kart track still in operation in the country that was recently purchased by Sarah Fisher. This was a race put on by the Vintage Karting Association. We, my father and I, were going to run the C-Open Dual Rear Engine Class. Max. displacement in the twin engine class is 270cc, so guys typically run a pair of McCulloch Mc101s or a pair of West Bend 820s, normally with oil clutches. I had mechanical issues with my kart in practice that I could not fix, but my 72 year old father still ran in the class in his kart. This is video from his onboard camera. Grab your popcorn this is an interesting race. Race #2 is even more wild and we have video of it as well. So take a step back in time:

Wow ! Them boys was gettin after it .
Yes they were. That's such tight track for these karts and the horsepower they put out. Especially with no nerf bars and very little for bumpers, its a tricky thing being that close. There probably was not enough room for me in another fast kart in the mix, so it may have been even more interesting if I was out there. Definitely got my blood pumping sidelined. The second race is even better, my father and Jerry Nagel had 0.004 of second separating them at the finish based on the transponders. My dad's spinout in this race was primarily from a fuel line that got a hole rubbed into it on the right engine and started dumping the oil/fuel mix on the right rear tire.

On the white flag lap 😂
Yep near as we could tell, that is where he dumped a bunch oil/methanol fuel on the rear tire. He got in pits after checkers and it was dumping out. When he got back going and passed Vinnie it was spraying all over Vinnie and the right engine was running on one carb.

Back