Adding weight to jr champ

JDRACE

I need to add around 20 more pounds to my son's Champ kart and have run out of room for lead pucks. It was recommended to get sheets of lead to add to the bottom of the seat. Any suggestions on where to buy lead sheets? Thanks.

Odelracing from time to time sells sheet lead here on Bobs. Enter sheet lead to the search function here and find him. He always seems to have a good stock. I have an upholstered piece that fits in seats that weighs about 25 pounds and it comes in handy when I have a skinny driver for one of my karts.

6 pucks on left of seat stacked 2 high, it's an extra small seat so would have to stack a third one which I was told I shouldn't stack more than two.
When you say pucks are they the 5 lb that smaller in diameter like 2 " thick, with tapered sides ? OR bigger diameter only like 7/8" thick with straight sides but still 5 lb ?

I have always had to hang a significant amount of lead on my son's kart. Sheet lead is an option. We placed it in the seat and the driver didn't care for it. Once we got 10# pucks scaling became so much easier and our seat didn't look like swiss cheese.

While it's not common, I've seen lead triple stacked. It may be an option depending on the size of the lead pieces.

It sounds like you're adding quite a bit of lead to the left side. You may want to review options to move the seat left. This could free up some space to add lead to the right side of the seat and still obtain your scale numbers. Are you hanging any weight on the front of the seat under the drivers legs?

I have always had to hang a significant amount of lead on my son's kart. Sheet lead is an option. We placed it in the seat and the driver didn't care for it. Once we got 10# pucks scaling became so much easier and our seat didn't look like swiss cheese.

While it's not common, I've seen lead triple stacked. It may be an option depending on the size of the lead pieces.

It sounds like you're adding quite a bit of lead to the left side. You may want to review options to move the seat left. This could free up some space to add lead to the right side of the seat and still obtain your scale numbers. Are you hanging any weight on the front of the seat under the drivers legs?
Moved seat all.the way to the left. I haven't put any under the his legs yet but will now.

Put 5 to 8 lbs under each leg. I use a 7 " diameter cast iron pan to make weights. The get heavy real quick, mount up better, and don't protrude as far out on the side of the seat.

Back