Advancing Modified Animal Timing

TTCarr

Hey guys,
I have a Animal modified with a dyno cams open head, and a 308 billet cam. We have the ignition timing set at 30° now and have been advised that 36-38° would be better. Mainly just wanting to know what degree of offset timing key I need to order to get it there, as well as any opinions on if that timing degree would be best, or any other advise if another degree would be better for that build. I’m sure I’m possibly leaving out some key info, so please ask and I’ll answer if needed.

Forget about the timing key.
Lap the flywheel to the crank with lapping compound, clean, and tighten to 55 foot pounds of torque.

Better yet, invest in an ARC adjustable center flywheel- it's so much easier to make changes on the dyno with as well.
Optimum timing for your engine can only be accurately found on the dyno (or roughly through extensive on track testing.)
Depending on your compression ratio, fueling, pipe, powerband, track size, etc, I think that 36-38* is a good starting point.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm not going to give you a timing setting but i will tell you that i had a customer that kept burning holes in his pistons and he had the timing set a 40*

Hey guys,
I have a Animal modified with a dyno cams open head, and a 308 billet cam. We have the ignition timing set at 30° now and have been advised that 36-38° would be better. Mainly just wanting to know what degree of offset timing key I need to order to get it there, as well as any opinions on if that timing degree would be best, or any other advise if another degree would be better for that build. I’m sure I’m possibly leaving out some key info, so please ask and I’ll answer if needed.
advace cut key.jpg

I'm not going to give you a timing setting but i will tell you that i had a customer that kept burning holes in his pistons and he had the timing set a 40*
I've always thought that burning holes in Pistons was caused by preignition. The spontaneous explosion of the fuel prior to the spark plug firing. Most assuredly caused by a hotspot in the combustion chamber. I've also seen it caused by bad gas. Gas stored improperly and probably holding a lot of water. Been there, not myself, a friend of mine.

It really doesn't matter what causes too much heat and or pressure in the combustion chamber. Either pre-ignition or detonation can destroy a piston.
Detonation — generally caused by fuel with a low octane rating — is the tendency for the fuel to pre-ignite or auto-ignite in an engine's combustion chamber.
1568773636348.png

Image result for can preignition damage a piston
www.corsicamarinesurveys.com

Preignition causes loss of engine power and can cause severe damage to pistons, rings and valves. Detonation and pre-ignition are so closely related that it is en difficult to distinguish one from the other by sound. Each can lead to the other and either condition can cause extensive engine damage.
Untitled Document - Hastings Piston Rings

Back