advantage perceived

95 shaw

Site Supporter
Advantage achieved.

With several discussions going on about adjustments or requirements, most times, as in any endeavor involving the human element, the fact that the driver is confident there is an advantage may be as much of a factor as any adjustment or tool.
If you think it works and is required to run at the front, your less likely to run at the front without it. By the same token, if you believe you don't need it, you'll likely be fine without it.

The human psyche can be really amazing.

Advantage achieved.

With several discussions going on about adjustments or requirements, most times, as in any endeavor involving the human element, the fact that the driver is confident there is an advantage may be as much of a factor as any adjustment or tool.
If you think it works and is required to run at the front, your less likely to run at the front without it. By the same token, if you believe you don't need it, you'll likely be fine without it.

The first part of that can be true in some situations. I can see somebody thinking that something is going to make them faster and go out and push a little harder, subconsciously, and go faster, that can happen, thus the need for double-blind studies, but the second part I totally can't agree with. There's a lot of things that I could mention, that I know made me go faster, that a lot of people don't believe they're of any use it all.

Of course there's always the possibility that I'm the victim of the same kind of thinking, I just don't know it. I am conscious of that possibility, thus the reason for telling people to go out and try what I suggest, just to prove it to themselves if it's a good idea or a bad idea. One thing is a fact, I have gotten a couple of letters from people who did just that, they went out and tried it, and they are thankful for my advice. They did go faster. One a rookie father and the other an enduro racer.

This person, the enduro racer, as he told me in his letter, always ran near the front, but after reading my book, and putting into practice some of the things he learned from it, he started winning on a regular basis. His friends, a group he raced with, made inquiries about his newfound speed, "I read Nunley's book" was his answer, an answer that was met with total skepticism. His friends attitude reminded me of the old adage that you can lead a horse to water................... few people understand the wisdom that old story is trying to give you!

Don't recall you ever mentioning you wrote a book, would like to read. Still available?
It was 20 years ago. Most of the information would still be pertinent for today, but not all of it. On the cover it said something to the effect of, "not the how, but the why". A lot of things have changed since then, but not the basics. Clutches, gearing, EGT, that's all basic stuff that will never change. I still have the book on my computer, and if you want a copy, if you send me a disc and a mailer I will send it to you no charge.

Advantage achieved.

My Jr driver doesn't know what parts or set up are in the kart. The stuff I do or don't do has it's effect on the lap times or racability without the driver knowing why. All he knows is if he can pass or if he is getting passed.

Back