advantages and disadvantages of rim widths

Yes was woundering the advantages and disadvantages of running a 8.25" left rear vs 8.5" besides the stagger part of it? Main reason for asking is I have the chance to purchase some 8.25" rims for a pretty good price but im using 8.5" right now. Dirt oval, Maxxis tire.
Thanks.

Anymore its pretty much driver preference, with only about 5% of the drivers who could feel a difference. There is a difference though, the 8.25 tends to rotate better while the 8.5 tends to roll better. As for stagger, i wouldnt use wheel choice for that purpose as you will need to set stagger with either wheel you choose.

IMO- the 8.25" rim will make the sidewall a little taller and more flexible, adding ever-so-slightly more grip on your LR corner. When on a 8.5" rim, the sidewall is stretched more, causing the tire to be shorter and making the tire stiffer resulting in less grip.

Rim width has everything to do with the spring rate of the tire. A tire on a narrower rim will soften the spring rate of the tire thus keeping that tire loaded longer. It also increases the sidewall height and allows the tire to flex more and generates more heat which generates more grip. All of these things will change how and where the kart transfers weight. Rim size (and tire spring rate) is more critical on the RS tires. The more important thing is the back spacing of the rim. This will change the leverage points.

On asphalt we would run a 7.10 tire on a 10.5" rim, where on dirt we would run the same rim but a 12.00 tire. I always liked Firestone tires because they had a lower profile and stiffer sidewall for dirt.

MIke

One more thing, stagger changes are usually made by growing or shrinking the tire on a particular rim. Rim width changes are made to change how the LR loads/unloads and rotates. You also have to consider the tires contact patch as well.

Mike

Kindly point me to a burris or maxxis karting tire with a 12.00 tread width. Or even a firestone?

What tire are you using to get stagger?
stones were 11.5, I for one and glad they left the karting world, one time on track flip, second time chunk them in the garbage.
The problem was stones were always the fastest tires, so if someone was on them you better be too

stones were 11.5, I for one and glad they left the karting world, one time on track flip, second time chunk them in the garbage.
The problem was stones were always the fastest tires, so if someone was on them you better be too
Were they 11.5 wide, or 11.5 diameter?

You were using a tire tread wider than rim?

Some manufacturers used different numbering systems for kart tires, for whatever reason.

Were they 11.5 wide, or 11.5 diameter?

You were using a tire tread wider than rim?

Some manufacturers used different numbering systems for kart tires, for whatever reason.
They were 11.5, the tire actually stuck out past the rim, instead of looking stretched out
1978736_679628985416649_201472117_n.jpg

Them ol' Stones! Man what an expensive but fast tire!!! I would kill a set of them on my KT100 in one race night!
Didnt matter what engine, you killed a set a night lol, if you saw a guy on the track with a set, you'd better be getting on a set or be satisfied with where you finished, and that was behind everyone running stones.
And guys complain about tire bills today lol

Well, guess we won a ton of races by not knowing a dam* thing.
I have learned a pile of info from you. Please dont let us run you off. I think he was talking about the 12 inch wide tire thing. I didnt understand that because I am new to the karting game, but the widest I have seen so far are maxxis pink ht3's.

Back