Advantages of a disk clutch.

Mrdan 120

I'm currently running a hilliard flame in my predator champ (425#) I do maintanance every week. It has two white springs and two black. I haven't had any problems with it.
What advantages are there with a disk clutch?

Most of the larger companies that deal with the centrifugal clutches say that as long as they are tuned correctly and maintained there are little to no difference between the two.

The consensus is that disk react and can potentially reach lock up faster than a shoe. BUT, that isn't always ideal. With a good builder there is a lot of adjustability in disk clutches. So you can adjust how and when it locks up a lot easier than a shoe.

Shoe clutches are known for being reliable and usually consistent, but not quite as much adjustability over all.

I personally feel like that is the only real difference is the amount of adjustability, but you give up adjustability for reliability. So if you're not having issues, and you're having good starts compared to every one else, then you'll be fine.

The biggest advantage is on starts and restarts. Both set up properly, the advantage goes to the disc clutch on slow rolling starts for the first 60 feet or so of engagement. Once the clutches are locked up 1:1 (or nearly) there should be little to no difference. The lighter shoe drum clutches can slip away power even when fully engaged - that's a concern as well. If your clutch is producing heat (either style clutch) then it is wasting torque to the wheels. The more heat, the more waste.
Once you go to a disc clutch, you likely will not go back. There's a reason that none of the front runners in open clutch classes are running drum clutches.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back