Advice for first race .

First, since you're just beginning, I'd probably just go with the attitude that you are there to learn. Nobody wins their first race. Most likely it will be a single groove track and I recommend you get in that fastest line (along with everyone else) try to keep up, and watch and learn from the other racers. Ask questions in the pits about gears, tires, how the races are run. Good luck!

Ask to start in the rear all night. You won't be in the way first time out and you can learn a lot.

I'm nervous about the let off spots and trying to hit my Mark all the time. I'm running heavy proclone so I hope it's not bad. When do I know if I need to pull off from a race? Or should I ?

First have fun!

Ask a lot of questions

Follow a mid-packer around in practice, don't pass, just learn the groove.

Start out slower than you think, lifting earlier than you think you should.

Only pull off in a race if you keep bringing out the caution from spinning out. Otherwise,hold your line if the leaders are lapping you (hold on, you'll probably get a gentile bump out of the way. keep your cool)

and have fun.

If they guy ahead of you isn't letting off, why should you? If he doesn't let off and makes the corner, you should be able to do the same. If He doesn't spin out but you do, then it's time to adjust the kart. That's how you learn to race.

Have an experienced racer or crew man look over your kart. Nothing worse than something falling off and getting no experience. Try to be ready in advance for every time on the track.
Prepare well, and have fun.

What's the best advice you can give for me first race? It's a 1/10 mile flat oval track, thanks

Well I am a bit on the rookie side still, but have never raced oval. Here is some general rookie advice.

Read the rules and know the deal.
Run a rookie plate if required. Introduce yourself to the other drivers around you and let them know you are a rookie. If anyone comes to lap you don't try to hold them up.
Know the flags. If you need to be removed, they should black flag you. If you feel you shouldn't be out then you have the option to pull off. Raise your arm when you have a problem or are coming up on a problem.
Look up and ahead, try to keep a wide field of view and don't get overly focused on one thing. Flags are easy to miss if you are staring at a number plate on the kart in front of you.

Sounds like you have good attitude about it. Have fun.

Last edited:
Monkey see, monkey do. requesting to start at the tail was the best thing i did for myself when i started racing karts. Follow what the others do, but don't hesitate to make a move if it's clear to you that you can do it. Only took me one race of starting the tail to get the hang of how things go. Then, go racing!

oh and sqiurrel tape! run a little tail of tape coming off your rear bumper to alert people behind you (could be the leaders at some point) that you are a rookie. take it off when you feel it's time.

Just have fun and don't expect to win or be competitive right off the bat.
Anyone just starting out should do the following.
1. Before you buy a kart get advice. Have someone experienced inform you on what you will need, motor, tires, clutch, etc..
2. Try to get advice on setup for the track. What gears and tires to run. Most guys are willing to help if you ask.
3. Have someone experienced look over your kart. An experienced racer will know what items need safety wired, double nutted, etc.. If you buy a used kart you should always still look it over to make sure it is put together correctly. You don't want something breaking or coming apart and hurting yourself or others.

Well I'll give a report on my first race, with it being an indoor race I was nervous with the concrete wall, but there was 13 other drivers, I ended up qualifying 10 out of them. Start on the feature and I pulled away from the guy behind me and was staying with the guy in front of me but there was a tangle up in front of me and some of us had to lock it up to avoid damage. But what when I did that it messed something up in my clutch. All and all I thought I did good for first time. I was over thinking alot of it. I appreciate everyone's input and will put the squirrel tail on the back.

Just have fun and don't expect to win or be competitive right off the bat.
Anyone just starting out should do the following.
1. Before you buy a kart get advice. Have someone experienced inform you on what you will need, motor, tires, clutch, etc..
2. Try to get advice on setup for the track. What gears and tires to run. Most guys are willing to help if you ask.
3. Have someone experienced look over your kart. An experienced racer will know what items need safety wired, double nutted, etc.. If you buy a used kart you should always still look it over to make sure it is put together correctly. You don't want something breaking or coming apart and hurting yourself or others.

This is great advice right here!!

Back