After 9 seasons, it was time...

Thanks......I started racing in 1987 but only raced flatheads.,...B&S Box Stock actually.....I retired 5 years ago but am thinking about getting back into karting. I thought LO206 might be a good class to come back to.

Its sad that the dirt crew has not embraced the 206 platform. We have a class out in the PNW it very quickly the class grew large and the clones all but disappeared. The 206 is a GREAT oval motor.
Agreed. We've pushed the L206 on ovals (dirt and pavement) for the past 10 years now and it's still not embraced like other classes. Sure, we've got a foot in the door, and everyone seems to like the class, but growing the class has been tough.

The dirt scene has always been about tires/prep and engines. It’s what they know and they don’t want it any other way. Trying to reinvent the engine side of it just isn’t appealing to them even if it is Soooooo much more simple. That’s the problem. It’s too simple. Too cheap. Easier to make money when it’s higher maintenance and more difficult.

The dirt scene has always been about tires/prep and engines. It’s what they know and they don’t want it any other way. Trying to reinvent the engine side of it just isn’t appealing to them even if it is Soooooo much more simple. That’s the problem. It’s too simple. Too cheap. Easier to make money when it’s higher maintenance and more difficult.
That, and there's no one to blame when they don't win. Oval racers are always asking for "extra" work done to their engines, etc, trying to buy an advantage. I'm sure your experience with that has been the same as ours, Gary.
When the driver is generally the same person setting up their chassis and making tire decisions, there's no one left to point the finger at when you don't find success. Take the engine out of the equation (like the 206 for the most part) and that's one less person (engine builder) to blame.

With the exception of Millbridge, and California racing, agreed on the dirt. We're seeing races with 50+ in each of the 206 beginner box & box stock classes out west, and increasing. Alphabet soup for racers related to classes trying to work back to the A-Main, and very long days! Not without growing pains, Jeremy @ Millbridge in Salisbury NC is doing a great job w/ maintaining a tech presence. That's a tough environment! The pictures he shares of "creative liberties" found under the tech tent makes one applaud their creativity, and Jeremy's unwavering enforcement of the rulebook.

As for the Red Bluff & Cycleland Outlaw programs, 206 is thriving. A tech presence there too has foundationally allowed growth, along w/ excitement. QRC karting in California recently shipping a crazy number of new chassis & 206 engines to Australia as dirt racing grows there too. What I've learned, dirt programs around the country that index off of the Nor-Cal Outlaw dirt series (related to 206 rules) have seen sustainable growth. When there's deviation from enforcing those rules, it's a mess.

Do you think that the fact that you can't "play" with this engine much is why not as many people want to run it? Just a thought.

Thats a double edged sword.

Happy to see a Briggs lasted that long, as it speaks to the quality.

Sorry to see you blew your motor.

Looks like the crank shaft was galled and rod split. 15 ounces of Amsoil 4T and various metal parts sitting in the bottom of the case.

Attachments

• 20211218_060857.jpg
    20211218_060857.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211218_060624.jpg
    20211218_060624.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211218_060617.jpg
    20211218_060617.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 26
Its sad that the dirt crew has not embraced the 206 platform. We have a class out in the PNW it very quickly the class grew large and the clones all but disappeared. The 206 is a GREAT oval motor.
The clones are even hurting us in the midwest.they went to some stupid small block big block open stuff.we went from having 9-10 karts a week to zero,but they now have small block open but a 116cc 2-stroke is not allowed to run with them.its me waste 3500$ on a clone that may grenade or me not race.so mine has sat for 2 yrs..opens open man.take a jr racecar billet animal and its just as fast as a small 2-stroke but 4 times the cost.

The clones are even hurting us in the midwest.they went to some stupid small block big block open stuff.we went from having 9-10 karts a week to zero,but they now have small block open but a 116cc 2-stroke is not allowed to run with them.its me waste 3500$ on a clone that may grenade or me not race.so mine has sat for 2 yrs..opens open man.take a jr racecar billet animal and its just as fast as a small 2-stroke but 4 times the money
I got away from 4-stroke racing when i was paying 1500$ for a 13 hp flathead.so i decided to pay 1500$ for a 35hp parilla 116cc.you do the math.

Back