Age & durometer

2 questions regarding SS33A'S - What are the symptoms of the tire being too hard? I have a set of 2017 & a set of 2019 date codes that duro the same (63-65) with the same prep history. When would I choose one date code over the other?

2 questions regarding SS33A'S - What are the symptoms of the tire being too hard? I have a set of 2017 & a set of 2019 date codes that duro the same (63-65) with the same prep history. When would I choose one date code over the other?

Too hard of a tire will not build sufficient heat to work correctly. You should be seeing "some" wear on your tires after each run.

Have you checked the spring rates on both sets?
I wouldn't be as concerned with the date codes as long as they are cut with the same template and thickness especially since they duro the same and are of similar sidewall construction. If they were '16s or older, I'd save them back for higher bite tracks. 17's and newer like flatter profiles and more shoulder on them and spring lower to begin with.

Track experience is always paramount. If they're fast on the track, write it down in your notes and defer back to that set when you get back to similar track conditions.
With all the tools at our disposal, there's no substitue for experience. Some sets of tires sure seem like magic. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back