air and exhaust flow

After re-reading this whole thing, I can't find where anybody did that, scolded you. I can't find where you insulted anybody.

In an earlier reply there was a thought that I was coming down on engine builders. I respect those that are builders who are willing to shed some light on the questions asked on Bob's. I am not an engine builder per se- I have built all my own race car [v8] engines and only about 25 - 30 Kart engines for myself only. I test them on my own race track [Cactus Speedway] now closed due to low kart count.
Thanks to everyone.

The effects of exhaust energy on the performance of an internal combustion engine has been a hot rodders quest for decades.
Recently the many computer programs for sale and on the internet have shed some light on the subject in the form of the ANSWERS,, if the correct data is inserted.

In my opinion the key to understanding exhaust dynamics,, let's say the old fashion way,, is looking at Degrees Per Inch (DPI). That is to say the degrees the crankshaft rotates per inch the form of energy travels from the exhaust valve through the exhaust system and returns to the combustion chamber as a NEGATIVE sign helping draw in more fresh mixture.

This is where the old fashion part comes in,,,, simple math.
The 2 forms of energy we attempt to "tune" is the sound wave (Wave) and the physical exhaust pulse (Pulse).
They travel at vastly different velocitys. The Wave travels at approximatly 1700 FPS in the environment of an exhaust system and the Pulse most optimum speed is 300 FPS. Pulse speed can be controlled, some what,, by the ID of the primary pipes and the heat in the exhaust system. If the pipe length is correct for the Wave to return at overlap when both the exhaust and intake valves are open, and the Pulse speed is too fast or too slow, one or both of the valves will be closed.

Time is your common denominator. ie; revolutions per Minute,,,feet per Second.

Here's a little something to ponder: 6000 RPM is 36,000 degrees per SECOND of rotation.
Easy to see why some exhaust systems have a very narrow RPM sweet spot ?

Best, WP

I know just enough about fluid flow to be dangerous... we all know air acts the same as a liquid as far as flow... it also tends to cling or grip stationary surfaces... ie drag... is as real inside a pipe as it is on a boat hull.. breaking that "grip" is a curious thing I have a miniature/scale wind tunnel in my warehouse i use to play with... think about... would a perfectly round golfball have more or less drag? why... what is happening ? we took this same theory to boat hulls... and into motor sports... have you ever seen dancing water? controlling water to music is not alot different than controlling exhaust out of a pipe... it does not like to turn... but you need it to be smooth and compressed and controlled...
20yrs later I still can't speak of certain innovations, they could not be patent protected without disclosure... but i assume they are in use in motorsports and i know they are in use in industrial fluid control. control being the key word

I know just enough about fluid flow to be dangerous... we all know air acts the same as a liquid as far as flow... it also tends to cling or grip stationary surfaces... ie drag... is as real inside a pipe as it is on a boat hull.. breaking that "grip" is a curious thing I have a miniature/scale wind tunnel in my warehouse i use to play with... think about... would a perfectly round golfball have more or less drag? why... what is happening ? we took this same theory to boat hulls... and into motor sports... have you ever seen dancing water? controlling water to music is not alot different than controlling exhaust out of a pipe... it does not like to turn... but you need it to be smooth and compressed and controlled...
20yrs later I still can't speak of certain innovations, they could not be patent protected without disclosure... but i assume they are in use in motorsports and i know they are in use in industrial fluid control. control being the key word

Back