Air filter Question

I use the 4 inch fabric filter. I also it with a foam prefilter and outerwear. Are both the pre filter foam and outerwear necessary and if not, which should be used as a priority?

I use the 4 inch fabric filter. I also it with a foam prefilter and outerwear. Are both the pre filter foam and outerwear necessary and if not, which should be used as a priority?

Depends on how dusty the track is. The Outerwears do a good job on wet/muddy tracks, but dust will migrate around the elastic on a very dusty track.
A properly oiled paper filter, along with either the Outerwears OR an oiled foam pre-filter should be adequate. If the track is a total dust bowl, then it wouldn't hurt to run both pre-filters.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It's a very dusty track, worse we race on, so maybe both is a good idea. It's a private club track with little to no clay in Carolina. It's design and grip level are intentional to put more emphasis on driving skill and set up and a little less on tires.

I definitely agree with needing both. I found out that the outerwear by itself definitely does not stop fine dust, as my carb was covered inside. That is using a brand new, properly oiled paper filter, and a new outerwear.

I definitely agree with needing both. I found out that the outerwear by itself definitely does not stop fine dust, as my carb was covered inside. That is using a brand new, properly oiled paper filter, and a new outerwear.
Slight coat of wheel bearing grease on the carb adapter will help stop some of what makes it through. We practiced one day and had a bunch of crap in ours and I started that ritual.

Paper filters are better for dusty conditions? I have used them, oiled, and covered with an outerwear prefilter since April and noticed very fine dust at the intake a few times. Test and tunes when the track is just not prepped. Just recently went to K&N cotton filters still using an outerwear prefilter. Is there a significant difference and is one better than the other in certain conditions? Thought I was doing myself a favor with the K&Ns...

Paper filters are better for dusty conditions? I have used them, oiled, and covered with an outerwear prefilter since April and noticed very fine dust at the intake a few times. Test and tunes when the track is just not prepped. Just recently went to K&N cotton filters still using an outerwear prefilter. Is there a significant difference and is one better than the other in certain conditions? Thought I was doing myself a favor with the K&Ns...

You should not be seeing any dirt (fine or otherwise) in your carb or intake. If it's ingressed that far, it will certainly be in the cylinder and rings as well.
You can't beat K&N for quality. On the typical kart filters, I have not seen their Remay material flow any better than the paper material when they are brand new. After a few oilings and cleanings though, the K&N will definitely outflow the cheaper paper element filters. The paper breaks down after a while.
Either way you go, unless the track is really clean, we put a fresh filter on each time the kart hits the track. Cheap protection for your valuable investment.

You should not be seeing any dirt (fine or otherwise) in your carb or intake. If it's ingressed that far, it will certainly be in the cylinder and rings as well.
You can't beat K&N for quality. On the typical kart filters, I have not seen their Remay material flow any better than the paper material when they are brand new. After a few oilings and cleanings though, the K&N will definitely outflow the cheaper paper element filters. The paper breaks down after a while.
Either way you go, unless the track is really clean, we put a fresh filter on each time the kart hits the track. Cheap protection for your valuable investment.

Yeah I didn’t like seeing the dusty there, but it was very very slight. However, it was there... I definitely put a fresh filter and bag on every time out. Just need to stay away from the track when it hasn’t been worked, and was only out there trying to figure out the Mikuni on my days off lol.

F975F970-2AE4-483E-BBA5-E0E154932E6E.jpeg

Back