Air Filter Question

tylerkalb

Is there a huge difference between the K&N or Walker Performance air filters and the generic, cheap ones? I know, as one of combustion's main components, airflow is crucial. Just wondering what the difference actually is and how much is a reasonable amount to be paying for air filters.

I've always used the cheap ones, keep them clean and oiled, trim the casting flash that hangs around inside the filter and run them. I refuse to pay $30+ for a filter when a $10 one will do the same job just as well. I have used the same 5-6 filters all season, zero problems

^ Agreed.

I will say, however, that with the cheaper paper filters that the airflow is greatly reduced each time that you wash them. That is not the case with K&N Filters. They will maintain good airflow after many washings and re-oiled. This was tested several years ago on our Superflow SF60 bench when the RC2 came out. The first run R2C filters flowed good air, but did a rather poor job of filtering. Since then I have heard that they improved their filter. I have not personally tested the Walker filter after several cleanings, etc.
Keep in mind that the airflow/size of most popular karting filters is way overkill.

You can purchase 5 cheap filters @ $10 ea, or 1 K&N filter @ $50. (prices just for sake of discussion)
How often do you need to change your filter at the track? I change ours just about every time the boys come off of the track.
How often you change out your filter may determine which filter is best for you.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Also, if you race on a nice clay track that holds moisture you may be able to get away with the paper filter. If you race on a dust bowl like most of the tracks I run on you will wan to spring for the K&N or Walker that takes oil. Made that mistake the first time I ever ran. Killed an engine with a cheap paper filter with a foamee pre filter and light oil on it. Since I have been running the K&N and changing the filter between practice, heats, and feature, we have had very limited or no dust on the filter cup. They have been worth the price in my opinion.

However, if you run on a nice sealed track that doesn't dust up too bad you can probably run the paper filter with an outerwear or foam prefilter.

For me I always change multiple filters per race day depending on the track conditions, etc.

Even on asphalt I change multiple filters per day. Cheap insurance in my opinion. Like changing the oil in the motor. Oil and filters are definitely cheaper than a motor.

The R2C being a "dry" filter and so different than what we all ran for years I never have tried them on my motors.

For me it's cheap oiled or K&N oiled.

I do think people over oil them when cleaning and re-oiling.

Again just my opinion.

Also, if you race on a nice clay track that holds moisture you may be able to get away with the paper filter. If you race on a dust bowl like most of the tracks I run on you will wan to spring for the K&N or Walker that takes oil. Made that mistake the first time I ever ran. Killed an engine with a cheap paper filter with a foamee pre filter and light oil on it. Since I have been running the K&N and changing the filter between practice, heats, and feature, we have had very limited or no dust on the filter cup. They have been worth the price in my opinion.

However, if you run on a nice sealed track that doesn't dust up too bad you can probably run the paper filter with an outerwear or foam prefilter.

This mirrors our experience. The paper filter let in a lot of dust.

I oil the cheap filters, and clean them with just compressed air...never have problems with dirt in my engine. I do not like washing them with water or chemicals, it seems to hurt more than help. Keeping the dirt out is the most important part

What about if you run asphalt only? Is there truly an measurable advantage when comparing the oiled type (but not putting oil on them) vs ones that do not require oil?

What about if you run asphalt only? Is there truly an measurable advantage when comparing the oiled type (but not putting oil on them) vs ones that do not require oil?

IMO, ANY filter that is designed to be oiled will flow a measurable amount more air unoiled BUT it wont stop the dirt. Ive run countless asphalt laps and there IS a lot of dirt to be filtered. Maybe not as much as a dusty dirt track but still significant amounts. If your filter needs oiling to trap the dirt then do so. With out the oil, it simply offers little to no protection. As far as flowing "more" air, the typical filter size run on karts flow way more air than the typical kart engine will ever need.

^ Agreed.

I will say, however, that with the cheaper paper filters that the airflow is greatly reduced each time that you wash them. That is not the case with K&N Filters. They will maintain good airflow after many washings and re-oiled. This was tested several years ago on our Superflow SF60 bench when the RC2 came out. The first run R2C filters flowed good air, but did a rather poor job of filtering. Since then I have heard that they improved their filter. I have not personally tested the Walker filter after several cleanings, etc.
Keep in mind that the airflow/size of most popular karting filters is way overkill.

You can purchase 5 cheap filters @ $10 ea, or 1 K&N filter @ $50. (prices just for sake of discussion)
How often do you need to change your filter at the track? I change ours just about every time the boys come off of the track.
How often you change out your filter may determine which filter is best for you.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I'd really like to see this flow comparison. This past summer as my 14 year old was "attempting" to follow instructions from a local builder he over sprayed with the the Red K&N spray. (He thought more was best). However, the motor was not responsive due to being mildly choked. With all the builder advertising the high flowing carbs I imagine that the filter game can have a significant impact on performance as-well.

I'd really like to see this flow comparison. This past summer as my 14 year old was "attempting" to follow instructions from a local builder he over sprayed with the the Red K&N spray. (He thought more was best). However, the motor was not responsive due to being mildly choked. With all the builder advertising the high flowing carbs I imagine that the filter game can have a significant impact on performance as-well.
Always has, that's never changed, apparent by the 6 yr old post you found

Back