Air pressure ?

ohv60racr

This is a question on a problem I had , but never got an answer for , so here we go . A couple years ago I was racing a track and really had a problem getting the kart to grip in the corners , I was down to 5 psi on the right sides and 4 psi left and it really did not help . Someone had seen me struggling , asked what pressures I was running , and told me to go up to 10 psi in the rights and 8 in the lefts . When I asked how it was going to help , with me figuring if I made the tire harder , how would it grip , he stopped talking to me , maybe he thought I was thinking he was BS'ing me when all I wanted was a answer to how it would help . Track was VERY dry , but not as dusty as I thought it would be , so could someone please explain it to me ??

If your current air was too low, you would grip good the first few laps then go away. So much grip was over heating the tires early and more air would help with that problem. Try it and see if you do better.

I am up to trying it to see if I come across the same problem for sure ! If tires got over heated would it not have shown on the tires ? There was no feathering or any other visible signs the tires had to show .

At times low air will cause the tire to roll over also, and instead of biting that tire will just slide. More air stiffens the sidewall so the tire can work properly.
Low air usually wont show up as feathering, too soft a tire can show feathering.

Back