AKRA Clone Engine thoughts i.e. (billet rod, larger overbore)

mattf76

I'm starting this thread solely for a comparison to see how many racers/builders would be for or against a couple changes for 2018. Keep in mind, I'm not an AKRA board member nor am I complaining about the rules or have any leverage here. It's merely to maybe give the powers to be something to view to maybe help the sport and the racers. Possibly some savings.

First Suggestion:
Thoughts on legalizing a stock length billet rod being allowed. Although I've not had any rod failures to speak of if clearanced properly, but in time as in the briggs flathead days if we keep getting these rpms up, they will eventually fail. My opinion allowing a billet rod for the clone may help with longevity. There is no power increase but again could save a block, crank, cam etc.. once these things get spinning the higher rpms as we are starting to see.

Second suggestion:
Opening up the max bore rule. As there are now pistons out and have been that are oversized all the way to .030" over. Whos for possibility of opening up the max bore for these as many folks have a perfectly good blueprinted block and may have a filter come off or bad maintenance on dirt that could wipe out a bore which has happened and the block is already at .010 over and max bore then is no longer useable for them for box stock class. At this point the racer has a higher expense with purchacing another blueprinted block, new piston etc.. where as in certain cases boring to next size for a bore fee would be cheaper for the racer without the added expense of block etc..

This post is not intended to over rule AKRA nor degrade the series in any way but rather maybe bring up some points and maybe get some others thoughts to these suggestions in hopes that maybe AKRA will take into consideration. I do realize many will gripe and complain or have their own suggestions but lets keep it to these suggestions only if possible and professional and no bashing. There are pros and cons to both yes a billet rod is more money however much better quality. Most are purchasing a new rods at price same or more as a bearing insert. where if all is good a billet rod could be cheap insurance. Just my thoughts. All Thoughts welcomed..

Regards,
Matt Field
DMD Performance

Grab the popcorn.
Billet rod though nice piece is not really needed.
Over bore again no real need.
Keeping rule set the same for a while , has long been a want for the racer.
I've got three engines now that are low lap , one raced 1 time all outdated via rules changes.
Basically worthless as is and the update cost will not add any value to them.

Flattop1 This is exactly what this post is for. Any opinions and or suggestions to it. I know where your heading with grab the popcorn and I'm fully aware the risks of my post haha. But none the less thank you for your views.
Matt

It's pretty sad when you can buy a $900.00 1250.00 motor for 3-4 hundred bucks just bc it don't have the updates and if you do buy it and send it in to have it rebuilt you will have in it as much as a new one ...., I SAY LEAVE IT ALONE

The bore rule may be a good idea you can now buy undersized blocks and line bore to standard. Kind of defeats the purpose of the rule. A ducar can be line bored but some won't clean up at .010. stock rod seems fine to me.

Matt I really think Akra needs to leave the rules alone for at least a year or 2 or we are going to see even more kart racers putting their stuff up for sale, and the kart counts are low nearly everywhere at the local levels anymore. The rod would certainly not hurt anything, except tick off people who are fed up with cost and the ever changing clone rules anyway. I hope they just leave everything alone this winter....just my 2 cents

It would be really nice to see the rules stay the same a year or two, I literally just updated one more this week and sold the other because I wasn't paying to update 2 motors with 3 races each LOL

The last two years rule changes have obsoleted every Clone engine in the market. IMO the last thing we need is another year involving a major rule change.

Of course you should be allowed a billet rod.
Equally "of course" the .030 overbore should be allowed.
Anyone who thinks these changes creates a competitive advantage is mistaken.

If controlling expenses is the object, then these minor changes will allow for usage of the block for much longer because it bore can be oversized a little, incrementally.

This issue was hashed out with the fhead, years ago, and found to be an
acceptable policy.

Not totally correct.
the only reason they want the .030 is so they can align bore the block. So you align bore it at .030 now you need a new block and an align bore.

All the clones I build now are align bored they usually go straight to .010 a few make it at .0075 some get scraped. .030 undersized blocks are on the market but that's just more money in a build that will be passed to the racer. Could be fixed with .030 bore rule

I believe it is time for the billet rod to be allowed, at least as an option for those who would like to use it as extra insurance, doesn't have to be mandatory. Stock length is all that should be needed. As far as the bore thing goes, it doesn't really matter, it cost about the same for a new block some places as it cost to have a block bored and new piston so that could go both ways....few people have their own machine shop or access to bore their own blocks, most are sending them out for that work anyways.

The last two years rule changes have obsoleted every Clone engine in the market. IMO the last thing we need is another year involving a major rule change.

Not every clone....alot of people that run local races/tracks only are still using outdated engines in the clone classes, like me, I'm still competitive using a 2016 legal clone racing at the local tracks, I don't buy into every little new thing that hits the market like some people do everytime a head or some other trick part comes out or gets past tech. If it were big races or big shows only I would agree with you 100% but there are far more local racers out there than hotshoes who follow money or series across the country. It depends on where/who you race in my opinion....every little update is not necessary unless you are chasing money shows or something like that.

W5R if you can be competitive with an unported head anywhere i want to talk to you about your tire program cause its wayyyyy better than mine.

W5R if you can be competitive with an unported head anywhere i want to talk to you about your tire program cause its wayyyyy better than mine.

What Earl said is what im talking about. Racing locally you dont see alot of people with 20-30ft trailers full of tires and all new stuff all the time, people with less equipment can run just as good

Well you guys convinced me your right. No need for billet rods or 0.030 over on the bore so no need for major rules changes in 2018!

Back