Akra "legal" turning 8k+

racerdad

Walking through pits and overhearing other racers that there turning 8k or more and there motors are legal. There not in my class, but wondering if this is true? Can it be done? Not saying some are not using a billet rod or whatever else, but legal cam and springs. They're saying they listen for the springs to chatter and back off a little.

Kinda my thoughts looking at the cams and reading about the valve trains.

What's the rpm difference between say a cl3 type cam and a mod2? I know the mod has more duration, but does it Rev much higher than the legal cam?

Cl 3 gets between 6400 to 6900 and the mod 2 is 7000 plus, so it looks like around 600 rpm difference. Give or take a little. Mod 2 requires 18 lbs. springs While the CL3 can run the legal 10.8 springs.

The Mod2 will pull higher because the duration and springs will let it. A stock class cam will rev higher on 18s cause the springs will let it….

They may be completely honest and not bs’n…. But that would make them also not legal. That head flows enough and that cam is big enough that with the right set of springs it will spin that number. Now the rod…. That’s another story.

They turn 7200 7400 at my track and still pulling, of course they win alot with the hogs they are allowed to run when they are good on tires, track dies nothing but smile if you say something, i have turned 7100 but was done pulling at 6900

So... Realistic max RPMs with XX spring n whatever legalish cam... Good port job? 6900? N it just making noise n overstressing parts?

My motor seems to not like over 7k, it looks to pull hard to that point. I dropped 1 tooth on the rear, and got out ran on the straights. Turned it 7200 then. But I also have a cheap tach that I don't know how accurate it is above 6000. It's good to there, but who knows after

Walking through pits and overhearing other racers that there turning 8k or more and there motors are legal. There not in my class, but wondering if this is true? Can it be done? Not saying some are not using a billet rod or whatever else, but legal cam and springs. They're saying they listen for the springs to chatter and back off a little.
I see your pretty new to the forum so that sorta leads me to believe that your possibly new to karting. One of the first things I learned when I started out was that the people who talk the loudest are usually the ones who are don't know what they are talking about. Case and point you overheard something that is either complete bull or the guy has a cheater. Which remember that if he ever runs 1st and you 2nd. Keep a couple hundreds stashed away in your wallet to protest that motor if you feel he's cheating. The guys I learned from were the quiet guys in the back of the pits that aren't trying to sell you anything or have any reason to steer you in the wrong direction. In karting my motto is to believe nothing I hear and everything I see.

My motor seems to not like over 7k, it looks to pull hard to that point. I dropped 1 tooth on the rear, and got out ran on the straights. Turned it 7200 then. But I also have a cheap tach that I don't know how accurate it is above 6000. It's good to there, but who knows after

Almost all legal adult clones run at or near 7000. Thats all you can expect with the stringent rules

Last edited:
I see your pretty new to the forum so that sorta leads me to believe that your possibly new to karting. One of the first things I learned when I started out was that the people who talk the loudest are usually the ones who are don't know what they are talking about. Case and point you overheard something that is either complete bull or the guy has a cheater. Which remember that if he ever runs 1st and you 2nd. Keep a couple hundreds stashed away in your wallet to protest that motor if you feel he's cheating. The guys I learned from were the quiet guys in the back of the pits that aren't trying to sell you anything or have any reason to steer you in the wrong direction. In karting my motto is to believe nothing I hear and everything I see.
I don't believe a lot of what comes out a racers mouth unless I've been around him a long time. Ive been around different parts of racing since I was a kid,, so I know how racers are.. Besides these guys aren't in our class, and there's not much for protesting. And you don't have to pay to protest, just find a tech guy and have him keep his eye open.

So would it be common for a pretty well known builder to put out a ridiculously strong AKRA engine that he wants turned to 7200 at a weekly track for 15-20 races? I know our engines and just about everyone else's local are recommended at 67-6800.

They turn 7200 7400 at my track and still pulling, of course they win alot with the hogs they are allowed to run when they are good on tires, track dies nothing but smile if you say something, i have turned 7100 but was done pulling at 6900

Seems to me if they would actually pull more useful rpms they would be doing so.

Back