AKRA Muffler Rule

halligan

In August, NKA issued a rule modification that weenie pipes should be teched by removing the clamps and checking for tightness of the muffler. Any motion at all would be a DQ.

Does AKRA also have this modification/tech in the current 2018 rule package?

No. However, the purpose of the clamp is to keep the Muffler tight to the pipe. The way you are describing it isn't the way I understand the reasoning of NKA ruling. I understand the rule is to keep the Muffler tight when in operation. Could be wrong, have been wrong in the past.

Thank you. My reading of the NKA modification is they don't want you running the muffler unthreaded to the point you leak exhaust and get unfair air flow through the pipe. The track we run says they are both NKA and AKRA and we build to AKRA. The muffler clamps we're tight and had no motion. The tech man loosened all clamps and was able to screw the muffler in about 1/16 of a turn and declared us illegal. I argued it and wanted to be sure I hadn't missed an AKRA update. I really appreciate you getting me an answer on the AKRA side of it.

so what is your recourse when the tech guy is wrong... ? major reason akra and NKA just died around here and seems to be on life support most places... unless it's a safety issue no rule should ever be modified or changed mid season... and best when not changed for years...

Halligan, AKRA and NKA I am sure placed the common sense factor that thenpipe is to be threaded on in it's entirety. However, my guess is that someone found a little more H.P. by not screwing it all the way tight. Even though we have a total length rule, it was designed to cover the length of the pipe with the muffler screwed all the way in. My guess is that NKA made the rule mid season to resolve a problem that was growing and needed addressed. I can't say that if we were seeing the same thing that we wouldn't do the same thing. The system is designed to exit at the end of the muffler not at the threaded area.

1/16th of a turn thatis not a measurable tolerance to DQ a competitor. Should this be done when the pipe is hot or cold, are they calibrating the tech mans grip and hand torque ability. If that pipe thread was only able to be tightened 22* there was no air leakage.

1/16th of a turn thatis not a measurable tolerance to DQ a competitor. Should this be done when the pipe is hot or cold, are they calibrating the tech mans grip and hand torque ability. If that pipe thread was only able to be tightened 22* there was no air leakage.

i'm cool with rules... but i like measurable... I hate "opinion rules" no 2 are the same... you have to ask... who comes up with this stuff.. and then writes it down and distributes it... to someone who thinks they are doing gods work ...

Where did the 1/16 come into this conversation?

I agree a 1/16th of a turn is not a measurable tolerance. Neither is 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 11/16, 5/8ths, 15/16th or 7/8s of a turn. However if you hold the end of the muffler and there is movement of any kind not in a rotational manner. It is wrong.

If you can wiggle the muffler your out of here. So now we can discuss the amount of wiggle thats allowed and how to measure it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around putting a degree wheel on the muffler to get an accurate measurement of turn. :confused:

1/16 of 360* is 22* just another way of saying he turned it a tiny bit. I was not there, I know when the story hits here a complete turn could be just a little bit. I am not calling out the tech person but to solve these problems there must be clear, concise measurable, don't cross this line rules. Otherwise there would be no method of appeal, mistakes get made, interpretations get muddy.

develop a new tech tool and pressure test the whole assembly . Hold 3 inces of water for 3 minutes your good.

If I hand tighten a muffler it is sometimes impossible to remove it. I always unscrew it about a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. It doesn’t leak that I can see. The rules need to allow this. I don’t want to be called illegal because I can’t remove it nor do I want to throw out the pipe assembly.

I am really questioning how much flow would increase through the threads to make a performance difference. If you think about the direction that the hot exhaust gasses are traveling through the pipe, how much resistance would be required to cause the pressure to leak through the threads? If they are doing this someone must have tested it lets hear the HP claims.
I have a vortex turbulator to install inside the air filter, and electro magnets to wrap around the muffler to align the carbon molecule so they exit at a higher speed.

electro magnets to wrap around the muffler to align the carbon molecule so they exit at a higher speed.

This will never work, carbon molecules are non-polar. lol

I'll be testing/breaking in a new engine in the next day or so, just so happens to be a little pipe setup. I'll test for this and share.

You were singled out and tossed for other reasons, no decent tech man is going to DQ someone for a muffler being 1/16 of a turn out. This sounds very typical of a local Saturday night track and someone with a grudge... been there many times!!

I have barely hand tightened mufflers before and needed a pipe wrench to get them off. About half the time the muffler breaks in the threads.

May be a different design like this original prototype for the mini muffler. Jimmy Sims sent me this one to test back in 2008. It worked good but the problem was everyone's headers had different size ends on them with threads and the pipe could not be swelled enough to fit. Would have caused a complete redesign of the current headers back them. So it was opted to go with a screw in muffler.

I use it for a paper weight now.

Attachments

• 20181016_114042.jpg
    20181016_114042.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181016_114018 (490x800).jpg
    20181016_114018 (490x800).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20181016_114029 (724x800).jpg
    20181016_114029 (724x800).jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 20
I can't help but feel a little bit that way. I took it back to the track, showed them this post and Dyno Don's response. The answer I got is every motor at the track must be 100% legal to BOTH NKA and AKRA. When the rules say you can run NKA and AKRA I assumed buying the tech manual and following the AKRA rules was enough. I was wrong. Just really sucked. It was my 7 year old kid who got his first win after starting 18 months ago and he was devastated when they tossed him. I'm all for fair and if we'd been wrong on spring pressure, gear, tire rollout, etc then I'd take it on the chin. Just felt like this was incredibly nit-picky.

generally when track states both one or the other is declared in tech.
that rule set is followed.
is this a certified tech person?
too bad for your son.

Back