Akra vs nka

cking

This may not be a simple question but will an NKA motor pass AKRA tech other than cam duration? Basically if I take a nka motor and switch to an akra cam, will it pass akra tech?

This may not be a simple question but will an NKA motor pass AKRA tech other than cam duration? Basically if I take a nka motor and switch to an akra cam, will it pass akra tech?
Actually with the +2/-5 duration variances mandated in 2016 by AKRA the duration check should not be an issue, provided the engine, if built by NKA rules does not exceed the NKA maximum specs. The +2 side for AKRA puts their specs at the maximum allowed by NKA.

With that said, there are a lot of other little things that could and should, if tech is done right that would meet the grounds for disqualification. Head (particularly to where porting is concerned), carb main jet, piston wrist pin, top of piston to top of wrist pin measurements, overall piston length, etc etc......

These are just a few things that are different from one set of rules to the next. Do they amount to a hill of beans where performance is concerned? On the dyno, maybe, on the track, not so much. With one rule set having small advantages here and the other having small advantages there, they pretty much cancel each other out. But, rules are rules and IF the tech person does their job, the way they are suppose to, you can and will get found to be out of specs.

Not having a ported head should not disqualify you .
Unless they've revised their rules NKA has deleted the Intake and Exhaust port inside dimensions. Technically while NKA rule 40.4.19.3.2 states "Porting, grinding or matching to the ports or combustion chamber is prohibited", rules 40.4.19.5.3 and 40.4.19.5.4, which once gave a dimension for the ID of the intake and exhaust, have been deleted. Everyone knows what happened as soon as that rule was done away with. One would be hard pressed to find a NKA head that still had the definable edge on the inside of the ports.

Carb rules are different, more then just jet size.
I wasn't about to try and explain tooling and checks on the rest of it. Buy yeah, there are the air bleed "must go" checks, low side circuit "no go" checks, flange to e tube distance check, the taper of the venturi position check, straightness of the venturi check (IE..no step cuts or offsets cut in the venturi), position of the etube inside the venturi in relation to the air horn side and the throttle plate side, the amount of visible machined portion of the venturi with the tech plug in and the check to see if the previous said plug can be pushed out of the venturi by the additional of yet another tool. LOL....it's a little wild to say the least.

Thanks for the input above. I was looking at converting an NKA motor to AKRA. This particular builder just said cam swap would make it legal. However it would be down on power without porting and head work. With shipping, head and cam work it didn't make sense to purchase the motor. I agree with others it would be nice if you could just declare NKA or AKRA at tech and allow both.

Question: when carbs are advertised as meets wka / akra/nka .
Does that mean the carb is just mediocre for one organization's rules ?

Back