alcohol=methanol?

coors and millers make some fine alcohol too!! unfortunately, the track I race at won't let me fill up before I get on the track! dang it!! :) I'm looking at using methanol next season but I have look at all the aspects of switching. if I'm not mistaken, I think can get a 55 gallon drum for about $190.00....compared to $10 a gallon for race fuel. By the time a race season is over, I've spent about $250 for race fuel, whereas methanol should be a little cheaper in the long run (we use about 1.5 gallons a race night).

i have a stock stroke and boar gx200 running 28.5/25mm valves 315 cam 1:3 rockers all billet goodies, 32*timing, im upgrading from a 22mm mukuini to a tilly 304, i can buy the carb kit for alcohol no prob, i dont run at a track, just something to terrorize the cops with, lol, and im trying to out run my friend with a flathead on alky

i have a stock stroke and boar gx200 running 28.5/25mm valves 315 cam 1:3 rockers all billet goodies, 32*timing, im upgrading from a 22mm mukuini to a tilly 304, i can buy the carb kit for alcohol no prob, i dont run at a track, just something to terrorize the cops with, lol, and im trying to out run my friend with a flathead on alky

I don't know about a Mukuini, but a Tillotson is bad A$$ power (at least the 348's that I have tried have been). I pulled the head of a friends S/A engine (meth engine of course) and the piston/chamber is CLEAN... Never see that with gas.

ive been running 93 and up gas in my slightly modified and i took the head off and it is VERY clean i was really surprised, had like 13 hrs on the engine after that head was put on, i think im gonna stick with race gas cause it seems like too much trouble to track down alky on a low budget lol

I'm running Methanol in my modified clone. It runs very cool and makes good power. It's also less prone to detonation when you raise the compression level.

Methanol is, however, very corrosive to aluminum. If you leave it in your engine it will eventually clog up your carburetor with a white powder (aluminum oxide).

Fortunately, that problem is easily remedied: Bring a spare fuel container with you to the track. After the races, disconnect the fuel line from the input side of your fuel pump. Connect a fuel line from your spare fuel container to the pump. The spare fuel container should have gasoline and some top oil or 2- stroke oil. Just fire up the engine and run it for about 30 seconds. That will flush out all of the alchy from the system. You will need to use the throttle to keep the engine running, as a carb jetted for alchy dumps about twice as much gas as the engine wants.

Alchy can also get past the rings and into your oil, so it's even more important to change the oil.

X2 I do the same thing:cool:

There are places to buy methanol, you just don't know it. Many oil and lubrication distributors carry it in 5 gallon buckets, about $5 a gallon. You want pure methanol, anything out of a gas pump is not going to be what you want. That's generally drag racing alcohol with additives and top end lubricants. Generally it's ethanol alcohol and is not what you need.
Ethanol = corn base alcohol
Methanol = wood base alcohol

Only ask for methanol, buying based on the word alcohol can get you a whole bunch of wrong fuel.

You will also need to do the standard modifications like advanced ignition timing, proper spark plug, and a 50% increase in fuel flow. It's not a dump in and go affair.

-Shannon
I just got a 5hp flathaed Briggs the guy said that it could run on alcohol and methanol and gas is this truck I am going to be racing karts for my frist time this coming may in wi

Can a 5hp Briggs flathead run on all three please just gas I am just getting into karting this next may I just got this engine from a guy it's all bilite arc in side and flywheel to but I dont no alot about methanol.

I just got a 5hp flathaed Briggs the guy said that it could run on alcohol and methanol and gas is this truck I am going to be racing karts for my frist time this coming may in wi
Where in Wisconsin ? They still racing flatheads up there ?
No if it's setup for methanol it won't run well on gasoline , without at the minimum a jet change , then it would .
Like they said kart shop race shop or oil fuel supply company .
Never tried the propane place that's how they keep it from freezing so that could be a source .

Where in Wisconsin ? They still racing flatheads up there ?
No if it's setup for methanol it won't run well on gasoline , without at the minimum a jet change , then it would .
Like they said kart shop race shop or oil fuel supply company .
Never tried the propane place that's how they keep it from freezing so that could be a source .
They don't run him a lot there's a couple tracks that I've heard that still racing but there's not a huge thing I wanted to this year go South Indiana Georgia. Stuff like that run in the bigger ones we have probably five six tracks around here the biggest most common class is the senior or the master lo206 stock around the Stevens Point Wisconsin Rapids it's about 2 hours north of Madison

They don't run him a lot there's a couple tracks that I've heard that still racing but there's not a huge thing I wanted to this year go South Indiana Georgia. Stuff like that run in the bigger ones we have probably five six tracks around here the biggest most common class is the senior or the master lo206 stock around the Stevens Point Wisconsin Rapids it's about 2 hours north of Madison
No I bought this motor all the insides are all Billet flywheel headshave Double Springs big valves Tillotson carb it's a nice motor there ain't granny many hours on it all I mean the Piston is in nearly Scorch burn there's like no corrosion the rod is like spotless the whole engine was spotless but the guy ended up having cancer and he can't run at the track he used to run anymore because he's too sick and I bought a body and bunch of side panels and clutches tires rims all kinds of stuff and I picked it up for super cheap I only paid three hundred bucks for everything I got like to bully clutches a Hilliard will you have to run the 33 Burris tires and I got two full sets of tires and rims I wasn't just going to pass it up but this motor came with it and he tried saying that I could run regular gas methanol and in that it would run on alcohol which like I said I didn't know a whole lot this is going to be my first year of racing any karts I mean I did my typical like backyard raised seen her putting high performance parts in engines dirt bike stuff like that but I've been running across this website and I see that quite a few people are helpful. Rookies for say so I figured I'd just stop and see if that was actually true or not just because I didn't really know a whole lot about the whole alcohol methanol type of racing or how the motor is have to be set up for any of it I never really did any of that stuff before a lot of truck car motors dirt bike motors I used to race snowmobile so I'm just not a can't really racing with any karts

I have a drag racing friend that is making incredible power with E85. Haven't heard anything a about it in the karting industry though. I wonder why?

Back