Alfano 6

I have an Alfano 6 and have a couple questions.

• I bought the CHT for it. When I use that with a 14mm AR3910X plug, I can't get a standard spark plug socket on it. I ended up turning down a socket to make it work. Am I missing something? How are you guys tightening the plug down?

• The RPMS show up as 2.300 (x 1000 I guess) vs. 2300 RPM. Anyone know how to change that?

Thanks

My CHT just arrived in the mail this evening. I was going to throw it on today, but it looks like I have to order the extension wire before I can install. I'm about to order it now but I'll stay tuned as I might have the same question . . .

that was the reason I didn’t buy the alfano.... the price was too close already and by the time you add all the extras to make it work it was over mychron prices.... and I was still a bit unsure of them...

I have an Alfano 6 and have a couple questions.

• I bought the CHT for it. When I use that with a 14mm AR3910X plug, I can't get a standard spark plug socket on it. I ended up turning down a socket to make it work. Am I missing something? How are you guys tightening the plug down?

• The RPMS show up as 2.300 (x 1000 I guess) vs. 2300 RPM. Anyone know how to change that?

Thanks
Now that I'm thinking more about it. I think I had to play with the settings. The unit of messure was different as set by the factory. When I adjusted mine I got the RPM's to read correctly. Not much help as I can't remember exactly what I did to correct it, but it can be done once your playing around in the menu settings. I think it was some sort of multiplication factor setting.

As for the CHT sensor, and getting your spark plug to seat where you can tighten it. It was a little hit or miss for me and I had to play with it a bit. There is a thin spot on the coupler of the sensor, force that thing into the 2 o'clock position (as your facing the spark plug hole from over top of it) where there is a thin spot on the engine housing. It has a happy place and at 2 o'clock it fit perfectly and I could tighten down my spark plug. Then the wire will want to go one of two ways. I routed mine under the sroud so it wasn't binding, nor was it in direct contact with my header.

I found it easier to remove the header when installing, that made all the difference in the world in terms of visually being able to place it correctly. Because if you crank it down and its off by a little, you can crack the sensor.

Attachments

• IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
that was the reason I didn’t buy the alfano.... the price was too close already and by the time you add all the extras to make it work it was over mychron prices.... and I was still a bit unsure of them...
Italy has been hit hard by the Covid and Mychrons are built there. They are struggling to keep up so there is a shortage of Mychron's. Our season starts in a couple weeks. Well see how the Alfano does against the Mychon. I have ran a Mychron5 for the past 3 years. At this point it was Alfano or nothing as I sold my Mychron5 to someone who is just getting started in karting and didn't have a lot to spend. I'm most interested to see if being able to review the data on my phone proves valuable at the track.

I have the app on my phone, its nice to see things immediately thereafter. Using it for live driver coaching can also be done so long as the instructor is holding a compatible device and logged into your unit. So as your rounding the track, they can see everything in real time. However, one down side is the Alfano app does not work on iMac, just iPhone and iPad. That was kinda a bummer for me as I don't own an iPad, so I'm limited in the data I can pull from just an iphone. The interface capabilities are not an apples to apples comparison between iphone and your computer (or in this case an iPad).

I'll be spending some time with a race team pretty soon. I'm curious to see how they work with the data from a team perspective. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of what the Alfano can actually do as I'm still learning the device myself.

Italy has been hit hard by the Covid and Mychrons are built there. They are struggling to keep up so there is a shortage of Mychron's. Our season starts in a couple weeks. Well see how the Alfano does against the Mychon. I have ran a Mychron5 for the past 3 years. At this point it was Alfano or nothing as I sold my Mychron5 to someone who is just getting started in karting and didn't have a lot to spend. I'm most interested to see if being able to review the data on my phone proves valuable at the track.
Alfanos are from Belgium and as every country in Europe they have also been hit hard by COVID, maybe not so bad as Italy, but obviously it also affects their production. The company was founded by Angelo Alfano, whom I don't know much about but curiously it is an italian name. Maybe himself or his ancestors are Italian, but anyway don't forget that 99% of sprint kart racing around the World depends on Italian products (most chassis and engine manufacturers, etc).

Back