Alfano not showing consistent RPM?

mrhalfaday

Looking for some help here on the forum. When downloading Alfano 6 data, the RPM is showing up at the higher ranges, but not in the lower ranges. IT spikes and drops out. I'm not sure if it's the wiring the Alfano, or the software...anyone else have this issue, or know how to resolve? TYIA!

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    132 KB · Views: 22
Mine is doing the same. Most of the lap 3300 with only a few blips to 6K+. Didn’t pick up lap times on last race of the night.

Mine did this when I first got it. I had to connect it to the coil wire off the front of the engine instead of the spark plug. I found somewhere (maybe the manual) that Alfanos won’t read off of the plug if the plug doesn’t have a resistor in it.

I’ve had an issue where if it doesn’t pick up lap times it will not show rpm max. Indoor with the mychron converter beacon I don’t get times but I finally messed with it enough to get it to read 1 lap and give me correct max rpm. If your settings are set to read the lap off of rpm it may not pick up lap times without rpm drop of a certain amount. There are other available settings but I don’t remember what they are off the top of my head and am not near the kart to look.

Overall once I figured it out I love the Alfano. I’ve charged the battery once in the year I’ve owned it and I race a decent amount. I also don’t shut it off, just let it time out, so I’m not exactly conservative with saving the battery. It’s just frustrating because the manual isn’t great and there’s not a ton of people that can help so it’s trial and error until it works.

If you have any questions I’d be happy to try to help. I’m not an expert but have been using the tach indoor and outdoor for the last year. I’m sure there’s better people than me to talk to but I don’t see them respond. Best way is Facebook messenger. Same name as my screen name.

Try replacing tach wire or check for interference. It shouldn’t be run through or laying on metal if you can help it.

Back