Alky carb Preventive maintenance

br2715

What kind of maintenance needs to be done weekly after running your alky carb? Have always ran pump gas and just recently purchased an alky one. I know turn the gas off and let it run the bowl dry but I thought I read some where about taking the bowl off and spray down with WD40. Just trying to make sure I’m doing the right thing and not messing anything up.

As soon as you finish the race or running it, flush it out with gas. Don’t let the alky dry up first because that’s where the damage is done. Run it, purge it immediately at the end of the night. Drain the oil too!

At the end of the night i'm done and just want to go home. Start it up sunday or monday with tank of two stroke oil/gas in place of methanol fuel, i have an old tank that i leave fuel in for this purpose. Allow to run until pitch changes then a little longer to build heat, shut off and drain oil. I'm not a fan of leaving the bowl empty if you can help it.

At the end of the night i'm done and just want to go home. Start it up sunday or monday with tank of two stroke oil/gas in place of methanol fuel, i have an old tank that i leave fuel in for this purpose. Allow to run until pitch changes then a little longer to build heat, shut off and drain oil. I'm not a fan of leaving the bowl empty if you can help it.
We all are! But it is better to run the gas/oil mixture through the engine as soon as you get off the track and drain the oil while all the sludge is still suspended in the oil. After it cools you cannot possible get the sludge suspended in the oil! That sludge will cause bearing and rings to wear faster. Everyone who build engines will tell you. It is easy to spot who drained the oil and flushed the engine at the track and who didn't.

We all are! But it is better to run the gas/oil mixture through the engine as soon as you get off the track and drain the oil while all the sludge is still suspended in the oil. After it cools you cannot possible get the sludge suspended in the oil! That sludge will cause bearing and rings to wear faster. Everyone who build engines will tell you. It is easy to spot who drained the oil and flushed the engine at the track and who didn't.
Exactly on the oil change routine. Ever pull the side cover off and see all the sludge built up in there? I take it one step further; I drain the oil as soon as I can after the race and spray a little bit of break parts cleaner in there, blow out with air hose and then re-fill with oil. When I pull my side cover off it looks like new.
Just to note, my unrestricted animal had 30+ races on it on a very dirty track. Still ran great, didn't smoke, and ran up front every week. I credit that to my oil change routine.

Back