Alky question

Waters21

I'm thinking about switching from gas to alky and just was wondering how much of an advantage it is over just regular 91 pump gas? I know there's a change in power just wondering how much?

I'm thinking about switching from gas to alky and just was wondering how much of an advantage it is over just regular 91 pump gas? I know there's a change in power just wondering how much?

From what I have seen, around .8 in a legal big pipe clone. And its the entire rpm range.

I have a hemi pred .40 shaved ported copper head gasket dyno cm cam billet rod and flywheel but not sure how much compression but I know sometimes when u pull the rope it will kick back an rip it from your hand

Alky will typically yield a 10% (roughly) gain in power if properly tuned ( AF ratio, timing)regardless of compression. Lower compression engines benefit as well as higher ones. Beauty of alky is, once you go to it you can raise the compression way up and get even more gains. This 10% gain is about 1 hp ona stockish clone (like Barry said) or about 50hp on that 500hp big block dragster you have in the garage. Biggest error most make about alky, is buying way more than they can burn in a short time (few weeks) and have it setting around. You MUST keep it very well sealed up. If not it will become diluted with water very easily. A regular type fuel can with a slip on cap on the spout is not good enough. Not even close. Good luck.

Thanks for the input I'm going to get 5 gallons tomorrow and jet my carb and see what happens.

I store my alcohol in a heavy black 20 gallon plastic jug/container. I keep it in the garage out of sunlight and moisture. I have keep alcohol in it for as long as a year with out any problems. Keep it sealed tight!!!

I store my alky in the metal can it comes in, before I use it (even months later) I take 3-4 paint filters with a clean peice of cut tshirt on top of them and strain the fuel as quickly as possible into the can I'm gonna use that day and I've had absolutely "0" problems! Very little moisture if any!!!

I store my alcohol in a heavy black 20 gallon plastic jug/container. I keep it in the garage out of sunlight and moisture. I have keep alcohol in it for as long as a year with out any problems. Keep it sealed tight!!!
"AGREED"....I buy it in 55gal drums and pump out what is needed. I deal w/it no differently than high-dollar racing 'Gasoline'....@ far less the cost! Well...M5 is a bit more!

Another question after running the alky should you pull the line and run a little regular gas to get the alky out?

I have a hemi pred .40 shaved ported copper head gasket dyno cm cam billet rod and flywheel but not sure how much compression but I know sometimes when u pull the rope it will kick back an rip it from your hand

Did ya go with a lighter flywheel ? This will sometimes cause that problem

I would also advance the ignition timing to utilize the slower burn speed and the cooling effects that methanol fuel has.
Yet that also increases the chances of hard kick back when rope starting.

Back