Alternative body?

Blakec9

What kind of material are you using for your side panels on your wedge body? I am currently running fiberglass, but with running the smaller tracks they have gotten messed up rather quickly. I may go the carbon fiber route but wanted to see what other materials you all have used and get your opinion on how well it worked. Thanks
Blake

What kind of material are you using for your side panels on your wedge body? I am currently running fiberglass, but with running the smaller tracks they have gotten messed up rather quickly. I may go the carbon fiber route but wanted to see what other materials you all have used and get your opinion on how well it worked. Thanks
Blake
We played around with a number of different materials and finally decided that 1/8" Mackrolon Poly Carbonate was the lightest weight and seemed the toughest. It can be purchased from your local Alro Plastics dealer (or any well equipped plastic dealer) in 48"X120" sheets for about $95 (couple of year old price). If you lay it out correctly, you can get 2 1/2 bodies out of each 10 foot sheet. You can cut it with a fine tooth circular saw and then bend it cold with a brake (finger brakes did not work well). The panels will take a side hit and usually only break when hit hard on the edges. It was not uncommon to run the same panels 3-4 years. Hope this helps and have fun.....

I built my last couple of bodies from coroplast.
Use the 6mm version. Cheap, lightweight and durable
Also easy to get wrap to stick to.

Resembles cardboard, but all plastic.
Can be cut with sheet metal shears.

Depending on what you looking for ? If your rubbing it up ; side panel material change , won't help .
The plastic is a little floppy and does not present as well as glass or carbon fiber .

Back