Aluminum fuel tanks

mike97760

Site Supporter
I have a kart that has an aluminum fuel tank on it. It has run a number of times with an open methanol engine on it but sometimes we will use it for clone racing. This kart will not pass a clone fuel check and I have a friend who ran into this, too. The fuel in the cans we use checks fine but not when it's poured into one of these tanks. Does anyone know what happens in the tank to cause this?

Current tech on fuel is BS. if your fuel is old, it will fail. if you put gas into your flathead to flush it out, it will fail. there is absolutely Zero performance advantages to either. they should look for Nitro extra O2 and performance chemicals and leave it at that.

have you tried to wash it out with soap and water? Thats what was recommended to us to go the other way as we were failing the water test on methanol

You can try rinsing it with acetone. That'll help.
FWIW, aluminum tanks are easier to clean (and keep clean) than plastic tanks. They can be used for either fuel as long as they are cleaned well.
Plastic tanks will absorb gas right into them and you will not get it clean enough for an alcohol fuel test ever again. Usually you can go the other way (alcohol to gas) though with a plastic tank.

Of course, it's always best to use designated single containers (whether it's fuel tank or fuel jug - even fuel funnel) for gas and alcohol.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

About 8 years ago I ran a plastic prc tank with a clone and animal, drained gas out some methanol in and sloshed it around and dumped it out, passed fuel tech both times. It was always an alky tank, someone gave me a clone to run twice since I absolutely will not buy one 😂 I was a little concerned the next time I ran animal but it was never questioned

Back