Aluminum Kart Seat

I have a lajoie seat that came with my coyote . Its a rookie size .
I can say besides that one i have only saw one other kart with an aluminum seat .

don't see how aluminum is more or less flexible that the extremely thick fiberglass seats available. other than Aluminum will crack over time

It would have to be thick enough to support a human, withstand g forces, and still be flexible enough to let the chassis flex. Not possible, not to mention when it breaks it could seriously injury someone. At least fiberglass will shatter if hit hard enough....

depends how you design it. try to bend aluminum foil. I can make the same argument
show me a racing seat at any cost thats as thin as aluminum foil?
Mount one up and show up to any race with good competition and return with your results

I never said it was a good idea. the aluminum foil remark was just to prove something you preceive to be rigid can be made to bend. I"m not advocating making seats of of Aluminum at all. but as far as composites go the karting world is far behind. better bodywork and seats could be made of kevlar and vacuum infused fiberglass instead of the chops strand overly resinated bottom of the barrel stuff we use today. and a composite seat can be made to be rigid or made to bend.

now imagine that seat hitting another competitor
When race car monocoques transitioned from riveted aluminum to carbon fiber. they had to figure out how to make the carbon fiber safer. as aluminum bends and absorbs energy the composites crack, break, and shred and could actually be more hazardous than the aluminum chassis.Please stop confusing opinions with physics. Claiming there is only one way of doing things is ignorant.

Now hold up. Nobody ever said there's only one way to do things. We are just saying how bad of an idea an aluminum seat is in a KARTING application. Nobody brought any other form of racing into it but you. Seen as you mentioned carbon fiber I can say I have seen seats and bodies made of it like the traditional fiberglass. More rigid and expensive but none the less still better in a kart application than aluminum.

I never said it was a good idea. the aluminum foil remark was just to prove something you preceive to be rigid can be made to bend. I"m not advocating making seats of of Aluminum at all. but as far as composites go the karting world is far behind. better bodywork and seats could be made of kevlar and vacuum infused fiberglass instead of the chops strand overly resinated bottom of the barrel stuff we use today. and a composite seat can be made to be rigid or made to bend.
lol they have made vacuum infused bodies and seats for years for karting, the problem? price tag
Keep flip flopping, it cracks me up.
We are talking about an aluminum racing seat mounted in a kart, it doesnt work, and you got butt hurt about it

When race car monocoques transitioned from riveted aluminum to carbon fiber. they had to figure out how to make the carbon fiber safer. as aluminum bends and absorbs energy the composites crack, break, and shred and could actually be more hazardous than the aluminum chassis.Please stop confusing opinions with physics. Claiming there is only one way of doing things is ignorant.
Please show me where I said there is only one way to do things? are you confused ?

most places they are illegal in an open kart.
they will kill handling
you said they would kill handling. I said not if they were designed correctly. You said have you ever tried to flex an aluminum racing set Well have you ever tried to flex a kart seat? You post lots of other comments telling me and others the way we do things is Wong because you wouldn't do it that way. look at the wiggy bar obviously the seat made the chassis too stiff so they had to come up with a design to take the seat out of the equation. You can't learn anything without exploring other possibilities or looking for creative alternatives.
opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one

you said they would kill handling. I said not if they were designed correctly. You said have you ever tried to flex an aluminum racing set Well have you ever tried to flex a kart seat? You post lots of other comments telling me and others the way we do things is Wong because you wouldn't do it that way. look at the wiggy bar obviously the seat made the chassis too stiff so they had to come up with a design to take the seat out of the equation. You can't learn anything without exploring other possibilities or looking for creative alternatives.
opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one
lol you are clueless if you think the seat was the cause for the wiggy bar, it was chassis design that caused the kart to sit on the LR over a certain weight driver.
Yes I have flexed many fiberglass seats, thats why we dont run certain seats.
Ive been in kart racing since 1999, and this isnt the first time this conversation has come up.
You are welcome to prove us wrong, mount an aluminum racing seat in a kart and win a major race that way

Back