Am I to old ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am am sorry to here of your lose and i hope your wife has a full recovery. I am 48 and trying to get my feet wet in karting. GO FOR IT!

starting racing at 27, now 58, find someone to help you get caught up on newer karts,tires, engine. it is still racing. beat the track, you will beat who you are racing with. good luck

As long as I can stay healthy I plan on racing. I have had to start exercising and watching what I eat a little closer. But that's just the price we pay to play the game. I have no plans to quit racing. Heck without racing I would just be a couch potato. If you don't have something driving you to keep going you will never achieve anything.

Consider a LO206 Briggs and Stratton engine if you are a one man show. Bolt it in and go.

Yes the LO 206 is the way to go for us older drivers. I am 73 and still going. Ran several of the Burris tour races (not in the masters) and just wrapped up the series at Little E.
Go for it.

Vic, I am sorry about your son and your wife's condition. You are in a rough spot I'm sure and I feel for you. Are you too old? Absolutely not! I race at Pomfret speedway in Ct. we have two gentlemen who are 73 years old who are having a great time. One is in a champ, the other a flat kart. Both running in the clone divisions. Help in the pits? Absolutely. We all help out, anyone who needs it. Before I was racing I helped a friend. I noticed how cool it was that everyone helped out another racer who needed something. I thought "Wow, how cool is that. A guy you race against is letting you borrow a carburetor so you can run against him". That's awesome. That is the reason I got involved in kart racing. In my 5 years of racing I have met some of the nicest people I have ever met and some of my closest friends! It has changed my way of life for sure. Getting back into karting is a positive thing my friend. Oh by the way I'm no spring chicken at 47 lol....

That's one of the things that got me into karting years ago. I went to a race with a friend, couldn't get over how everyone was like family and helped each other. I was hooked from that point on and bought a used kart from one of the racers a week later. I knew very little about what I was doing or what I needed, and was basically overwhelmed from the help I got from everyone. Looking back now, those are some of my fondest memories and I really miss that companionship we had then.

Vic

Vic: Currently we do not have a clone class at Londonderry, but it is something we want to start given the number of karts at Pomfret and the growing number of people asking about it. Hopefully next year if enough people are going to show.

What are you guys running?
I need to come up and check the place out, and do lots of brain picking lol. But being the season is over here, not sure how to go about it.

Vic

My FIL is 72 and runs a open flathead, he said he hasn't felt this young in a long time ,he is one of the karts to beat, his motto "youth and tenacity has nothing on old age and treachery".

oldtimer,

you are still a "baby"! I'm 70 & racing open 2 cycles around 70+ mph & having lots of fun. Not sure when I will give up racing karts. It can be fun w/o winning. I just like going fast!

Joe

You are as old as you want to be. I guess my friend Troy running asphalt sprint on a Tony Kart powered by a wankel can answer this question for you better than me. He is over 70.

Maybe you can help a some people at your local track until you decide. I know as a father just starting his son any experienced help is greatly appreciated. Even if it is washing tires or helping the Jr's getting on and off the track. As you remember there is lots to do between heats and I'm sure you can find someone who could use a hand.

57 years old.....flipped my asphalt kart last year....got up on two wheels spinning out of turn four just three weeks ago. racing is life and life is good!! your never too old to do something that gets you out of the house, out of the rocking chair and out in the sunshine....well moonshine at least!!! get a kart, put a dang helmet on, give the rope a jerk, sit your butt in that there seat and hang on!! it's about to get fast and fun!!!

Go for it! I'm 54 and have been out of it for 2 years dealing with a borderline diabetes . If I can lose 40 lbs. and can get my blood sugar down to where I don't need the meds this winter, I'm going to give it a try.

I'll be 59 in December. Started racing karts one year ago. Just did my rookie + 1 race Saturday! In my case it all started about my grandchildren that I want to get into racing as soon as possible. Now - well - let's just say I have had a lot of fun in this past year!

I am passed the borderline on diabetes (type II) and have some other nasties in line wanting to take me out. Don't let these type of things keep you from getting into the kart. I have never felt better than while on the track racing. In fact, the feeling lasts for a couple of days. Don't put any "ifs" on your plans - get a kart and put your butt and then your foot into it!

Have fun while you can!
DirtyDan

oldtimer,

you are still a "baby"! I'm 70 & racing open 2 cycles around 70+ mph & having lots of fun. Not sure when I will give up racing karts. It can be fun w/o winning. I just like going fast!

Joe

That's all I'm looking to do Joe is have fun and make friends. Not expecting to run up front, and don't care .

Thanks Brian I may just take you up on that lol.
I did check out the web site, and also contacted them about the used kart they have listed. They were great and got right back to me.
I guess there selling it for a customer, but gave me his number.

I do however still have a lot of questions that are not on the website.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back