Am I to old ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old-timer

Hi Guys,
Been giving some thought to getting back into kart racing. However I am 60ys old and not sure yet.
Last kart racing for me was back in the 90s and I ran box stock heavy, open kart. I really miss it, and have been giving some thought to maybe getting into Champ Kart, but I have my age against me and would basically be a one man band.

My son passed away last Oct and my wife suffered a major heart attack and stroke 2 days later . I need something to focus on and really miss karting. I'm not looking to burn up the track, but rather just looking to get out there and have some fun again.

What do you guys think? and be honest now.

I know that years ago when I was racing, there were a few guys who were alone with no help in the pits. We would all chip in and help who ever needed it. Does it still work that way or have things changed.

Thanks for any help or advice
Vic

get yourself a kart and get back to the track !!!!!! it will all come together for you . yes its the same vibe in the pitts everyone will help out . sorry for the loss to you and your family . alot of that has been going around lately . i have been racing against some guys in Open/Outlaws that are 55-72 years old !! i am 41 and they will spank me on any given night if i slip even a inch of track .........;)

if karting is your passion and you really enjoy it, then why not try it? the people around my area are still willing to help anybody who wants it. as a matter of fact i have a friend who is a pastor who raced karts for the first time this year and he really likes it. and he likes it so much that he wants to get his kids involved to. so i'm trying to help him out the best that i can, even so much as buying chassis's and engines so him and his 4 kids ( mostly young teenagers ) can race next year and he can pay me back when he can. bob's 4 cycle is the best place to get most any karting part :) hope this help, and really sorry for your loss. and i'm 50 and my brother is 55.

Come on out.
I restarted karts after my grandson, then his dad (my son) got involved.
The last engine I stuck (before grenading my K30 last year) was a Mac 101, so that was a while ago.
I am 58 and ran once last year and looking forward to 2014.
There is (depending on where you race) a "masters" class that the driver has to be over 35.
There is a lot of gray/white hair in the drivers seats.

Thank you for the positive feed back guys !
Another issue I am facing is learning all the things that have changed since my days. I was running Raptors and Noram clutches. I guess now most everyone are running clones. I know my way around the Predators pretty well, as I've built a couple over the last year for drag mini bikes. I know a lot has changed since the 90s lol So I'll need to go back to school.

I will also need to keep this as low budget as possible, as I'm on a very low fixed income . I appreciate any help and info, and hope you don't mind me asking all the typical newbe questions. I know how old that can get, as I am a member of Old Mini Bikes and we get alot of newbes who ask all the newbe questions. I never get tired of helping them because I feel it's a brotherhood and that's what we do. We help others who share the same passion for our hobby.

I'm already getting the same feeling here !!

Vic

Thank you for the positive feed back guys !
Another issue I am facing is learning all the things that have changed since my days. I was running Raptors and Noram clutches. I guess now most everyone are running clones. I know my way around the Predators pretty well, as I've built a couple over the last year for drag mini bikes. I know a lot has changed since the 90s lol So I'll need to go back to school.

I will also need to keep this as low budget as possible, as I'm on a very low fixed income . I appreciate any help and info, and hope you don't mind me asking all the typical newbe questions. I know how old that can get, as I am a member of Old Mini Bikes and we get alot of newbes who ask all the newbe questions. I never get tired of helping them because I feel it's a brotherhood and that's what we do. We help others who share the same passion for our hobby.

I'm already getting the same feeling here !!

Vic

If your mind is made up and your ready to make the jump Id get ready and head to Harrisburg PA Racers flea market this Friday night and do some buying.... you will get the best bang for your buck this weekend on used karts and parts that youll find anywhere. The flea market is the largest of its kind in the US and being your on a fixed income you really should go.....for more info about it check out the Harrisburg Flea market thread in the Northeast section.

Do it and don't look back!
My Dad is 69... And beat me out got 2nd, and left me 3rd...

It is just too much fun to miss!

if karting is your passion and you really enjoy it, then why not try it? the people around my area are still willing to help anybody who wants it. as a matter of fact i have a friend who is a pastor who raced karts for the first time this year and he really likes it. and he likes it so much that he wants to get his kids involved to. so i'm trying to help him out the best that i can, even so much as buying chassis's and engines so him and his 4 kids ( mostly young teenagers ) can race next year and he can pay me back when he can. bob's 4 cycle is the best place to get most any karting part :) hope this help, and really sorry for your loss. and i'm 50 and my brother is 55.

Wow that's really good of you to help like that !! I'm a firm believer that what goes around, comes around. I truly hope you are rewarded for your kindness, even though I know your not doing this for reward. If your like me you just enjoy helping others get involved into something your passionate about.
Good on you my friend !!
Vic

hi vic, thanks for the kind words :) and your right i'm not looking for any reward, therefore if i know in my heart i can do it, i will try my best to help. on a side note if you could have seen the smile on his face after the race, it was worth it.... he was driving my spare rwyb/open class kart with a strong running 116cc parilla reedjet 2 cycle on a burris chassis on a 1/4 asphalt oval, and mph around 70. he was leading most of the race until next to the last lap i past him.

If your mind is made up and your ready to make the jump Id get ready and head to Harrisburg PA Racers flea market this Friday night and do some buying.... you will get the best bang for your buck this weekend on used karts and parts that youll find anywhere. The flea market is the largest of its kind in the US and being your on a fixed income you really should go.....for more info about it check out the Harrisburg Flea market thread in the Northeast section.

Thanks for the info and MAN I wish I could but I'm still caring for my wife full time right now, and she couldn't make the trip just yet. She recently had part of her foot amputated from when her heart stopped. Lack of blood flow. So I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I'm hopeful I can maybe find a good deal on a used kart locally or something that could be shipped possibly.

I've raced with several people over 60. I'm 45 and my wife is 44 and she just starting to race. She went through 3 tours of cancer treatments in one year and decided to get in a kart and race instead of watching. Painted her kart last night, pink and white with a big pink ribbon in the front. Get back in that kart and have at it. I'm very sorry for your loss, and I bet they would want you to, too.

hi vic, thanks for the kind words :) and your right i'm not looking for any reward, therefore if i know in my heart i can do it, i will try my best to help. on a side note if you could have seen the smile on his face after the race, it was worth it.... he was driving my spare rwyb/open class kart with a strong running 116cc parilla reedjet 2 cycle on a burris chassis on a 1/4 asphalt oval, and mph around 70.

Wow !! I think my speeds were in the 50s and I thought that was flying lol. And yes I know that smile well. I've seen it helping others with mini bikes. Its a great feeling isn't it?

Vic

I've raced with several people over 60. I'm 45 and my wife is 44 and she just starting to race. She went through 3 tours of cancer treatments in one year and decided to get in a kart and race instead of watching. Painted her kart last night, pink and white with a big pink ribbon in the front. Get back in that kart and have at it. I'm very sorry for your loss, and I bet they would want you to, too.

That's fantastic !! Great she didn't let it get in her way of sharing so much fun. And yes your right, I know my son would be saying.. get your a## out there and have some fun dad. My son and I were very close, as he was in a car accident 9ys ago, broke his neck and was left a total quad. My wife and I cared for him full time here at home. He had just turned 40 when he passed, and during those years we became not just father and son, but best buds as well. We shared all the same interest and dreams .

Go for it! I'm 54 and have been out of it for 2 years dealing with a borderline diabetes . If I can lose 40 lbs. and can get my blood sugar down to where I don't need the meds this winter, I'm going to give it a try.

Vic, I am sorry about your son and your wife's condition. You are in a rough spot I'm sure and I feel for you. Are you too old? Absolutely not! I race at Pomfret speedway in Ct. we have two gentlemen who are 73 years old who are having a great time. One is in a champ, the other a flat kart. Both running in the clone divisions. Help in the pits? Absolutely. We all help out, anyone who needs it. Before I was racing I helped a friend. I noticed how cool it was that everyone helped out another racer who needed something. I thought "Wow, how cool is that. A guy you race against is letting you borrow a carburetor so you can run against him". That's awesome. That is the reason I got involved in kart racing. In my 5 years of racing I have met some of the nicest people I have ever met and some of my closest friends! It has changed my way of life for sure. Getting back into karting is a positive thing my friend. Oh by the way I'm no spring chicken at 47 lol....

Hi Guys,
Been giving some thought to getting back into kart racing. However I am 60ys old and not sure yet.
Last kart racing for me was back in the 90s and I ran box stock heavy, open kart. I really miss it, and have been giving some thought to maybe getting into Champ Kart, but I have my age against me and would basically be a one man band.

My son passed away last Oct and my wife suffered a major heart attack and stroke 2 days later . I need something to focus on and really miss karting. I'm not looking to burn up the track, but rather just looking to get out there and have some fun again.

What do you guys think? and be honest now.

I know that years ago when I was racing, there were a few guys who were alone with no help in the pits. We would all chip in and help who ever needed it. Does it still work that way or have things changed.

Thanks for any help or advice
Vic

In a short answer, no. In a long answer...there's a fellow that races at my home track (Dawgwood) that is 67yrs old and won the senior box stock championship last year and finished 2nd this year. If YOU feel your able to still race a kart.....Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back