Am I to old ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know how I feel guys+gals,
When I was racing back in the 90s I was most all the time the one bringing up the rear. Never minded that, and was always the one with the biggest smile on my face. I had a 4th place finish once, but it was only because there were 7 in front of me who spun Hahaha !!
What I'm trying to say is that all I want to do is get back out there, stay out of trouble, and have that feeling back that I used to have. Never cared where I finished as long as I finished. I'm the type of guy who used to let the faster guys pass me just so I didn't screw them up. I'd go high and let them down on the inside. Nothing has changed as far as my expectations . Just want to get back out there without having to sell my home to do it lol.

Vic

I turned 70 in May this year, and started racing Box stock karts last fall. I don't think you are ever too old if you can climb in and out of the kart, and your reflexes are reasonable.. I'm having a ball, and so should you. I am sorry for all your family losses.

Hey, kid, get off my lawn. I don't know how old too old is. I'm 67 and racing competitively. Everyone needs a hobby. Mine is kart racing. You were worried about being a one man show. I've been doing that for nine years. If you need help at the track, someone is always there. The people involved in kart racing are the best part of the sport. The actual racing is just a bonus.

Check out the setup sheets on my web page. They may help you (or not.) http://nogoats.net/

Hey, kid, get off my lawn. I don't know how old too old is. I'm 67 and racing competitively. Everyone needs a hobby. Mine is kart racing. You were worried about being a one man show. I've been doing that for nine years. If you need help at the track, someone is always there. The people involved in kart racing are the best part of the sport. The actual racing is just a bonus.

Check out the setup sheets on my web page. They may help you (or not.) http://nogoats.net/

Good to hear that from a fellow old fart lol. I agree 100% with you, and I think that's what I miss the most about it.
When I first started back then, I knew nothing !! I could not get over how everyone bent over backwards to help me. I had fellow racers helping me get my kart set up, loaning me gears, parts, and most importantly helpful advice. Heck I even had a team loan me a motor and bolt it on for me, because mine hadn't been blueprinted yet, and everyone was running blueprinted motors. I never got over that ! It's a brotherhood and that's what makes it so great.

Good to hear that from a fellow old fart lol. I agree 100% with you, and I think that's what I miss the most about it.
When I first started back then, I knew nothing !! I could not get over how everyone bent over backwards to help me. I had fellow racers helping me get my kart set up, loaning me gears, parts, and most importantly helpful advice. Heck I even had a team loan me a motor and bolt it on for me, because mine hadn't been blueprinted yet, and everyone was running blueprinted motors. I never got over that ! It's a brotherhood and that's what makes it so great.

Things are still the same. Cant beat the friends you make in karting.

You can get involved fairly cheap. Most teams are even willing to give you some old stuff to get you going...rims, tires, clutches, seat, gears, whatever....you should be able to pick up a decent champ for 500-700 bucks and a motor for 300-400. Like anything else, the initial investment is the most, but its not horrible after that.

Let me know if I can help with anything

My father is still racing ovals with me and also we are doing races in the VKA and he is 66. At this past summers VKA race at Brodhead, WI there were around twenty plus drivers over 60 and the two oldest were 73 and 77. And many of these guys are past national champions in 2 cycles and still get around that track extremely fast in the old karts. And I was down to Quincy at TNT Kartways this past summer and Lake Speed is still racing a dual engine with pipes in a sidewinder kart, an Invader, probably close 90+ Hp and is still very fast and he is likely in his mid 60s.

At 41yrs old, 5 yrs ago, My beautiful wife and at that time 5 yr old sons mother passed away from a stroke. I was suicidal from the loss and not being much of a parent to my son only caring about my suffering. A friend called me up with some racing karts for sale. The light came back on and Racing gave us family that I never knew existed in this world. Call me crazy if you want to, but you will have some powerful Angel(s) riding with you. We pray that peace surrounds you at all times. Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At 41yrs old, 5 yrs ago, My beautiful wife and at that time 5 yr old sons mother passed away from a stroke. I was suicidal from the loss and not being much of a parent to my son only caring about my suffering. A friend called me up with some racing karts for sale. The light came back on and Racing gave us family that I never knew existed in this world. Call me crazy if you want to, but you will have some powerful Angel(s) riding with you. We pray that peace surrounds you at all times. Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very sorry for your loss and I appreciate you opening up to me.
When all this happened to me I felt the same way. Loosing my son was bad enough, but almost loosing my wife within hours of my sons death just put me over the edge. Fortunately the good lord spared my wife against all odds. It changed my entire outlook on life and whats important.

With me it's not a matter of wanting to, it's more the money issue right now. When my son passed away I also lost my job. I was paid a small salary to be a care provider for him. Since all this happened I've had health issues myself and had to apply for disability . So I need to figure out what my best way is try and involved again.

Vic

Even if you can't afford to buy your own equipment if you speak with Jay who runs londonderry or give Archie a call I'm sure they could talk with a few people that would let you run a borrowed kart a few times. Shoot me a pm and I can give you Archies # if you'd like.

Even if you can't afford to buy your own equipment if you speak with Jay who runs londonderry or give Archie a call I'm sure they could talk with a few people that would let you run a borrowed kart a few times. Shoot me a pm and I can give you Archies # if you'd like.

Thank you !
I have to run my wife to a doctors appt , but I'll pm you later tonight. I'm not really crazy about using someone elses equipment lol. I know there prob many who would loan me, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for it. I'll pm you later.

Vic

Never too old.... I once knew a man that raced till he was 73 and ran up front every week! GO FOR IT!!!!

Anyone from the NH area know of someone looking to sell a Sr Champ kart that would work a deal with me?

Vic

Got a Champ Kart... WOO HOO !!!
Worked out a deal with Kart Promoter and he bent over backwards to help me out !!
Man I just love the people here! Just have to pick up a Kart stand, Tach , starter, and a few of the usual items needed.

I feel like a kid at Christmas lol. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on the items I need, please let me know.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back