Am I too big to be competitive?

I registered just to answer your question. I'm 6'3", and I have short legs. So according to the life science tables my seating height is of someone that should be 6'9" tall. So what is the worse kart class for me to be in? Roadrace Sprint Kart with CIK bodywork and no laydown seat. However I still managed to win an IKF region 7 (southwest states) championship in a very competitive class. I didn't post a lot of wins but it was enough to win the year. You will be at a disadvantage but karting is worth it. I know quite a few successful tall racers, your skills willbe a bigger factor than your size.

Go for it!
6’2” is tall but from what I see in my area not much over average. 200 pounds is not heavy at all. I don’t know anything about road courses, but I can say in the few years we have been racing there are a lot of guys in the 6’1” to 6’3” range. Some of them look goofy with their knees sticking up but they are having a great time and running competitively.
My son is only 5’8” or 5’9” and weighs 210. Very wide shoulders and just a little gut. When he started racing karts he was just over 4 feet tall and under 100 pounds. It was easier to get his kart to handle when he grew than when he was little.
Go for it and have some fun!

Back